annapolis, MD area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been in a homebrew club, or any other club for that matter. This sounds great. I have been contemplating joining a club. Anything I can do to help? I assume we will be bringing samples of our homebrew to try? Any place we meet would have to be supportive of us bringing brew in, right? I've been an nomadic homebrewer for a long time, not sure how this all works.

I like the idea of punks. I spoke with several bars in downtown Annapolis. They never got back with me. If punks is ok with us coming there. Let's do it there.

I like the idea of punks. I spoke with several bars in downtown Annapolis. They never got back with me. If punks is ok with us coming there. Let's do it there.

I used to do "craft brew pub crawls" in downtown Annapolis for Annapolis Pub Crawls. None of them really have a good craft brew selection, with the exception of Rams Head.

If you guys don't want to struggle with downtown parking the Rams Head Roadhouse in Crownsville has a pretty killer selection. I've never been to Lures but they're supposed to be pretty on their game with a nice selection of beers as well.

http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/roadhouse/documents/2012 Roadhouse Drink Menu.pdf

http://www.luresbarandgrille.com/beer

****, I might go to lures tonight because they have the Great Divide 18th Anniv. Wood Aged Double IPA on draft...

Just throwing out a few other options.

Jay

I've never been to punks but I've heard good things. I have been to lures. Good food and great beers. The beers on tap are constantly changing.

rvklein said:
Suggestion for a meeting place.

Punk's Backyard Grill in annapolis mall. It's locally owned, has good reasonably priced food, and a great selection of beers on tap. They have two on Cask as well.

And one of the owners, Dave is a homebrewer.

Current draft selection:

•Sierra Nevada Hoptimum | Imperial IPA | 10.4% abv | California
•Great Divide Colette | Saison | 7.0% abv | Colorado
•Oliver Ape Must Never Kill Ape | Belgian Dark Ale | 3.2% abv | Maryland
•Stillwater As Follows | Belgian Strong Pale | 9.0% abv | Maryland
•Heavy Seas Dubbel Cannon | Belgian IPA | 7.0% abv | Maryland
•Firestone Walker Reserve | Porter | 5.3% abv | California
•Oliver James Brown Ale | Brown Ale | 9.0% abv | Maryland
•Dogfish Head Aprihop | IPA | 7.0% abv | Maryland
•Flying Dog Disobedience Dubbel | Belgian Dubbel | 7.1% abv | Maryland
•Evolution Lot 6 | Imperial IPA | 9.2% abv | Maryland

Do you know the owner? If so, could you ask him if we could hold our meetings there? If not, let me know I'll give them a call

Do you know the owner? If so, could you ask him if we could hold our meetings there? If not, let me know I'll give them a call

Only know him through the beer dinners they host (which are awesome btw). Go ahead and give them a call. The two owners are Dave & Shelia. ask for either one.

Sorry to be so unresponsive the last few days. I had to head out of town and just haven't had the time to post. I should be back in time for the meeting on the 17th. Did anyone talk to Punks? I will give them a call if I haven't seen anything on here by tomorrow afternoon.

I've never been in a homebrew club, or any other club for that matter. This sounds great. I have been contemplating joining a club. Anything I can do to help? I assume we will be bringing samples of our homebrew to try? Any place we meet would have to be supportive of us bringing brew in, right? I've been an nomadic homebrewer for a long time, not sure how this all works.

There will be lots to do to help! Right now the best thing to do is plan to be at the meeting. Also, I will try to post a draft constitution or bylaws that we can discuss prior to the first meeting. Input on that will help set the direction for the club and could really impact our future. Also, suggest any ideas you have for a name!

You're right about needing a meeting place that is supportive of homebrew being brought in. I don't know about the laws in Maryland so we may not even be allowed to bring in homebrew, but I will see what I can dig up on this.

I was just thinking. They have a lot of homebrewing competitions in Maryland at bars. Why would it be a problem to bring some in? I think it really depends on the county. I know Annapolis is pretty strict. Which kind of sucks

I spoke with Sheila at Punks backyard grill. Like most of the other bars in Annapolis. They are worried about the liquor regulations. ( bringing in and tasting) The good part is they didn't say NO. They are supposed to call me back tonight or sometime tomorrow.

We may have to settle on just trading some brews with each other. (but not tasting right away)

Either way we go, most places don't have a problem with us having the meeting there. It's the tasting of the homebrews.

SuperSpy said:
There will be lots to do to help! Right now the best thing to do is plan to be at the meeting. Also, I will try to post a draft constitution or bylaws that we can discuss prior to the first meeting. Input on that will help set the direction for the club and could really impact our future. Also, suggest any ideas you have for a name!

You're right about needing a meeting place that is supportive of homebrew being brought in. I don't know about the laws in Maryland so we may not even be allowed to bring in homebrew, but I will see what I can dig up on this.

Since you seem to know what your talking about. If you want to chat about the meeting beforehand. Let me know. Contact me at [email protected]

Also, who has homebrews to trade?

I have a pale saison and banana bread beer

I did some research and it looks like Maryland doesn't allow homebrew into any place that holds a license to sell alcohol. On the plus side, they don't regulate homebrew so the only regulations are the federal ones. So either someone's home or a business that sells no alcohol may be out only options.

Also, I talked to Annapolis homebrew and they are wanting to help support us in getting started. Does someone want to put together some fliers to take to Annapolis Homebrew? I'm not much of the design/advertisement creating type.

The wife is out of town so I'm planning on grabbing dinner and a few beers at Ram's Head on West Street this evening. Does anyone want to join me? We can discuss some preliminary planning for the club and our first meeting.

SuperSpy said:
The wife is out of town so I'm planning on grabbing dinner and a few beers at Ram's Head on West Street this evening. Does anyone want to join me? We can discuss some preliminary planning for the club and our first meeting.

I wish I could. I'll be in Annapolis tomorrow but I will be visiting my brother. I might stop by Punks and check it out.

I was just thinking. They have a lot of homebrewing competitions in Maryland at bars. Why would it be a problem to bring some in? I think it really depends on the county. I know Annapolis is pretty strict. Which kind of sucks

Do you know specific competitions or who organized them? I would like to talk to someone that has dealt with this and find out what/if regulations apply to bringing homebrew to a licensed bar or restaurant.

This was the gentlemen I spoke with about entering the competition.

John Falbo
WIYY 98 ROCK
410-338-6557
Fax # 410-366-6480
3800 Hooper Ave
Baltimore, MD 21211

It was a 98 ROCK King of Homebrew Contest.

They held the first round at Frisco Tap House and Brewery. Then the second and final round at Alonso's.

I can forward you the entry information from my email. Just shoot me a message.

As I said before, I will be at Ram's Head at 6pm tonight if anyone wants to join. I will be sitting at the bar with a red "Made In Canada" t-shirt on.

I have a two year old and 5 month old. I would love to meet anyone anywhere for beers! But, I'm in for the 17th. Like I said earlier, I know nothing about clubs and such but I'll bring a notebook and pen to take notes.

I mentioned a few pages ago that I was maybe heading to the Pirates/Nats game in DC on the 17th, but I think I'm skipping to make sure I can make this meeting.

I have a Roggenbier, Berliner Weisse, Citra/Amarillo Saison, and I'll see how many Belgian Pales w/ Brett I have left. I have a 100% Brett C. Belgian Pale and a Hefe that probably won't be ready in time.

You guys let me know the time and the place!

I might be interested. Been looking for someone to whine to when I eff up a brew and a resource for second opinions when I am not sure. Not sure I can make the 17th but maybe.
Jay. (it may be a problem with several folks being named jay)

Btw, I live near Annapolis home brew so could take stuff there if necessary. Wonder if they would host a meet up or sponsor a club???

Trades!?

We can do it out of the back of our trunks in the parking lot. It'll be like a drug deal, but better, since its beer!

I'll bring a few bottles of my brown and chocolate milk stout if anyone wants to swap a few.

...I have a Roggenbier, Berliner Weisse, Citra/Amarillo Saison, and I'll see how many Belgian Pales w/ Brett I have left. I have a 100% Brett C. Belgian Pale and a Hefe that probably won't be ready in time...

Thanks Clint for listing the brews you will bring to the meeting. Can everyone else do the same? We want to get an idea of who is bringing what and let that dictate part of the first meeting's agenda. Unfortunately I have no homebrew on hand since we just moved here.

-Pale Saison
-banana bread beer (well it turned out to be more of just a banana beer)

I've been in a bit of a lull in my brewing. I have one bottle of IPA, and if I can get to it I can bottle my brown/porter kitchen sink ale I have in the keg.

Have an IPA & and Imperial IPA on draft. Would be hard to bottle without getting too much headspace. Belgian Dubbel is still aging and a Tripel is getting ready to be racked onto bourbon soaked oak for 6 months.

I'm still tenative for the 17th. Three kids in sports but I think I may be available that day. Won't know for sure until next week.

Clint offered up a really good idea for a name. I've made a list of a few others. Naming the club is one of the first things that we'll need to do so let's get the ball rolling! Here is a list to get us started. Add to it with whatever you can come up with:

M.A.S.H - Maryland Association of Serious Homebrewers

A.B.C.D. - Annapolis (or Ale) Brewers, Connoisseurs and Drinkers

A.L.E. - Annapolis Libation Experts Homebrew Club

Capitol City Homebrew Club

Western Shore Homebrew Club

A.A.A.A.H. - Annapolis Area Amalgamated Association of Homebrewers ("Quad-A H" for short. This may sound too much like that quidditch game from harry Potter.)

A.A.A.H - Annapolis Area Association of Homebrewers ("Trip-A H" or "Triple-A" for short)

The Sail and Ale Homebrew Club (Like the "Pig & Whistle" or "Fox & Hound" style pub names)

Just start throwing names out and we can sort through them later.

I love beer.

I live in Arnold/Annapolis and I would join in a second. I have some other homebrewing friends also that might join.

I have a few samples to bring to any initial meeting as well and can def help out

Once my back deck is finished being worked on, I could even host smaller gatherings (just a nondescript townhouse owner!)

I have a Roggenbier, Berliner Weisse, Citra/Amarillo Saison, and I'll see how many Belgian Pales w/ Brett I have left. I have a 100% Brett C. Belgian Pale and a Hefe that probably won't be ready in time.

I'd love to get at the Citra/Amarillo Saison... I did a saison with Citra/Sorachi/Styrian and it was awesome.

DolemiteGK said:
I'd love to get at the Citra/Amarillo Saison... I did a saison with Citra/Sorachi/Styrian and it was awesome.

I would like to trade my saison as well. I made it with Apollo and motueka. I'm loving it.

Kmcogar and I met up at Punk's yesterday to discuss the first meeting. We're still thinking that homebrew at a restaurant or bar is in a legal gray area so we'll hold the first meeting at my place in Annapolis. The only issue may be parking. I live on Hill Street between the Westin and the O'Callaghan hotels. You won't need a permit to park on the street after 6pm, but we may run out of spaces fairly quickly. However, it's a very short walk if you park at the Westin, or O'Callaghan. Also, I think the Severn Bank Building (200 West Gate Circle) has free parking after 6pm (don't quote me on this) and is only a block away.

Sounds excellent.

Whats your name so I don't knock on the door and ask for SuperSpy.

Good question! It's Nathan, but I think knocking on the door and asking for SuperSpy would be much better. Especially since I don't know any of my neighbors yet. Having a bunch of folks show up on their doorsteps with beer and asking for SuperSpy would make for some very interesting first impressions.

Back