Korean BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
P1000114.JPG

This is not the best pic, but what you're looking at is our table at a Korean restaurant in Detroit. I think the name was New Seoul Garden? Anway, its the style of food more than that specific restaurant that is interesting. There is a small open flame gas grill in the center of your table and you cook the meat/veggie portion of your meal. They serve a lot of different sidedishes and white rice with your meal. Great food. If you get the chance to visit a korean restaurant, ask if they have tabletop grill and I think you won't be disappointed.

I agree 100%. We probably eat Korean almost once a week. I love the kimchee side dishes.

My faves are bool-gogi, yoo kay jong, and soon doo boo.

MMMMMM........

Its interesting to me that I don't like kimchee, I love very hot food so its not the heat - I try it everytime I am able b/c I really enjoy most dishes, but haven't come around.
Also, you can buy a great bulgogi marinade in many asian markets, its in a glass jar with a mostly red label and red top. The trick is to almost freeze the beef so you can slice it thin, then marinade w/the sauce and grill.

Reminds me a bit of Mongolian BBQ. They have a buffet of raw meat and vegetables.. ranging form chicken and beef to goat and lamb. You mix a bowl with whatever you want and a wide variety of sauces, then stand in line for some dude to cook it for you. mmmmmmmm .... I'm getting hungry.

I've been to Korea 3 times and spent about a year and a half of my life there. Korean food has never been a passion of mine, but good bulgogi (the BBQ-style dish cooked right at the table - "beef on a leaf" to the American GI) is pretty tasty. Most Korean bulgogi houses have a big charcoal stove that they use to create large, super hot coals that they bring to your table for the heat source. The meat, usually beef (sometimes pork), is sliced thin and marinated in a sweet, spicy sauce. When served properly, you take some rice, a bit of meat, and a few condiments (usually a spicy veggie mix and some sweet sauce), wrap it in a large lettuce leaf, and chow the whole thing down in one bite (lather, rinse, repeat until you're out of food).

Glibbidy, dunno if you've ever had true bi-bim-bap, but it's pretty nasty IMHO. The hot American version served over rice (bap) isn't bad, but the cold Korean version served with a runny egg over the top is just plain gross. It still appeals to some Americans, but not this one!

Kimchi is another Korean food I can do without. There are hundreds of varieties, and I really don't care for any of them. The cucumber version is tolerable sometimes, but not great. I love pickles, but the fermented vegetable smell/flavor of kimchi is pretty off-putting IMHO, even if the peppery spice mix is tasty.

Glibbidy said:
bi-bim bab.:cool:

Oh yeah...the best part is the rice at the edge that starts to burn slightly from the hot bowl! I actually bought a few stone bowls so I could make dolsot bibimbop at home, as you can see here. Takes a long time to heat them up, but it's well worth the wait.

9557-Bibimbop.jpg

BlindLemonLars said:
Oh yeah...the best part is the rice at the edge that starts to burn slightly from the hot bowl! I actually bought a few stone bowls so I could make dolsot bibimbop at home, as you can see here. Takes a long time to heat them up, but it's well worth the wait.

9557-Bibimbop.jpg

Where'd you get the stone bowls? We were just out on Friday night, and I told the wife that I wanted some of those for my birthday or x-mas, but I haven't seen them around anywhere.

The bibimbop that I got actually came out almost like a salad, without the hot bowl. I've usually gotten it with the bowl at this place, so I'm assuming it's a summer thing. It was good, and it *was* pretty damn hot, but yeah - the burned rice is the best...

the_bird said:
Where'd you get the stone bowls? We were just out on Friday night, and I told the wife that I wanted some of those for my birthday or x-mas, but I haven't seen them around anywhere.
It's easy. First, you spend an entire sunday driving all over Koreatown, looking in every single market and store you see. When you can no longer stand the smell of fermented fish & vegetables (which has now saturated your hair and clothes) you drive back home and do what you should have done in the first place: look on the internet!

Allow me to save you a step. These are really very nice, and well made. Be sure to get the matching wooden coasters, so the bowls don't burn a hole in your hands or table!

BTW, in Korean restaurants, specify dolsot bibimbop to get the one in the hot bowl.

http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-2427-asian_cookware-stone_bowl__medium.asp

http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-1950-asian_cookware-wooden_pot_coaster__medium.asp

Dude said:
I agree 100%. We probably eat Korean almost once a week. I love the kimchee side dishes.

My faves are bool-gogi, yoo kay jong, and soon doo boo.

MMMMMM........

Stone offers kimchee at their restaurant as an appetizer. Goes awesome with beer! Who woulda thought?

BlindLemonLars said:
It's easy. First, you spend an entire sunday driving all over Koreatown, looking in every single market and store you see. When you can no longer stand the smell of fermented fish & vegetables (which has now saturated your hair and clothes) you drive back home and do what you should have done in the first place: look on the internet!

Allow me to save you a step. These are really very nice, and well made. Be sure to get the matching wooden coasters, so the bowls don't burn a hole in your hands or table!

BTW, in Korean restaurants, specify dolsot bibimbop to get the one in the hot bowl.

http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-2427-asian_cookware-stone_bowl__medium.asp

http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-1950-asian_cookware-wooden_pot_coaster__medium.asp

Perfect! The price isn't too bad, either (I was expecting $20 - $30 each). Thanks!

the_bird said:
Perfect! The price isn't too bad, either (I was expecting $20 - $30 each).
The shipping is reasonable too, it was only about $5.00 to ship two bowls and coasters. This surprised me, as they are VERY heavy.

If you've got a Korean supermarket nearby, they often sell both the marinated bulgogi meat and boxes of pre-prepped vegetables...sort of a bibimbop kit. Don't forget the hot chili paste! Skip the Korean beer though...most of it tastes like two parts BMC, one part dishwater.

I'm gettin' hungry...
hungry.gif

BlindLemonLars said:
Skip the Korean beer though...most of it tastes like two parts BMC, one part dishwater.

Ain't that the truth. I've spent 2 years in Korea and I could never get used to Korean beer.

We drank a sh!teload of the big 3:

OB
Cass-- SEE-ASS
Hite-- (S)hite

Terrible stuff. The main problem is that they keep it out in the alleys between the bars and it gets warm from teh heat and skunked from the light.

A few years back, I had a craving to try some Korean BBQ sauce on beef. SWMBO went to the grocery store to pick some up and started talking to a Korean lady in the isle, she ended up with this kickaxs recipe for the sauce using grated ginger and about a quarter cup of whiskey. Haven't had it in awhile, but it rocks.

Dude said:
OB
Cass-- SEE-ASS
Hite-- (S)hite
The advertising tag lines for these are hilarious!

Cass - the refreshing beer that vitalizes youth and is cold-filtered for the most freshness.

Hite - from naturally fresh water
...is that like "the land of sky blue waters?"

OB Lager - formulated by the fresh air brewing method

OB Blue (name change from OB Lager in 2006) - Timeless enduring heritage, craftsmanship and new rice addition delivers refreshing smoothness and clean after taste, making OB the most drinkable beer.

beers_image_final.png

Yuri_Rage said:
Glibbidy, dunno if you've ever had true bi-bim-bap, but it's pretty nasty IMHO. The hot American version served over rice (bap) isn't bad, but the cold Korean version served with a runny egg over the top is just plain gross. It still appeals to some Americans, but not this one!

Kimchi is another Korean food I can do without. There are hundreds of varieties, and I really don't care for any of them. The cucumber version is tolerable sometimes, but not great. I love pickles, but the fermented vegetable smell/flavor of kimchi is pretty off-putting IMHO, even if the peppery spice mix is tasty.
I enjoy both the hot and cold versions. I prefer mine with lots of chili paste and without the runny egg. Kimchi on the other hand......load me up with more. I agree it's not the best smelling food, but it sure is tastey.

:off:Then again nothing smells worse then the mango pickle.

:off: Wow, my first 5 star rated thread. Maybe this will become as popular as the CCA and apfelwein threads.....;)
I was going to start another thread on Vietnamese food because when it is done really well, is my absolute favorite food, but maybe we should just discuss it here. What do you think? Any other 'Pho heads' out there?

landhoney said:
:off: Wow, my first 5 star rated thread. Maybe this will become as popular as the CCA and apfelwein threads.....;)
I was going to start another thread on Vietnamese food because when it is done really well, is my absolute favorite food, but maybe we should just discuss it here. What do you think? Any other 'Pho heads' out there?

There's a Vietnamese place near us that looks like an absolute dive, but is absolute phe-nomenal. It's gotten incredibly rave reviews from places like the NYTimes. If you watch Top Chef, it's actually owned and run by Hung's family. I don't think he's ever worked there, at least for a while, but that restaurant is pretty frickin' unbelievable. Best spring rolls, ever.

My favorite vietnamese place was similar, restaurants had been in and out of this location, didn't look good. But it was run by a vietnamese couple - husband did ALL the cooking and wife did ALL the waitress,hosting,etc. It was in West Palm Beach when I lived there, and we went 1-3 times a week for almost a year. I bet I barely missed a week. The amazing thing is their menu wasn't huge, we only ordered ~5 dishes in rotation but they were just so good it didn't get old at all. Spring rolls( non-fried, fresh, rolls that is) are one of the best ways to start a meal.

Back