Brewer's Best - Pumpkin Spice Porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
A friend of mine picked-up this kit from the LHBS for me to help him brew this next weekend. I downloaded the kit instructions here and am questioning how they get their starting gravity numbers and IBU from the kit contents. I ran the recipe through BeerSmith to both archive it and look at the numbers, and I'm getting significantly different specs.

Kit specs (from sheet):

O.G.: 1.057 - 1.061 F.G.: 1.014 - 1.018 IBU:19-22

Beersmith Calculated:

O.G.: 1.049 - 1.053 IBU: 16.4 (with 2.5gal boil as per instructions)

I'm not worried so much with the IBU, as that can be adjusted with late extract additions, keeping the gravity low initially (less hot break) for better utilization, or doing the full 5gal boil. What I'm wondering about is how the heck they get 1.057 - 1.061?!

My off the cuff calculations get something closer to BBs. How many points per gallon does Beersmith attribute to LME? It might vary a bit in real life, but if it is 37, then I get around 1.047 for 5g. The specialty grains add a bit more.

Does Beersmith credit the maltodextrin? And does it assume 5.25 versus 5 gallons? It depends on whether you brew more to end with 5g, or strait at 5g and end with less.

I changed Beersmith to a batch size of 5.00gal to match BB's sheet. Good point though. BeerSmith predicts 36 ppg for the LME (6.6lb) and 34 for the specialty grains (1.25lb). If I just use a calculator, I get ~ 1.056. I think the "equipment" variable in BeerSmith is messing with the numbers. In any case, 1.056 still isn't in the 1.057-1.061 range that the BB sheet specifies. I'm confused.

The maltodextrin addition does not change the OG value in BeerSmith...interesting. It's not fermentable, but it will certainly affect the starting gravity since it's dissolved.

Maltodextrin is one pound for 40 ppg, I think, which is 4 points for you. If you're just a few points off, I wouldn't sweat it.

The maltodextrin was the missing factor in the gravity. Thanks for your help.

Back