Holy Crap!! Pliny the Elder clone at austin homebrew supply.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry I missed the Tuesday sale at AHS. I was in Seattle on business and while there I picked up three 500 ml bottles of Pliny at a local Whole Foods. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow night. Irregardless the AHS Pliny clone that I made a couple months ago is outstanding whether it's a close match or not.

PlinytheElder001.jpg

I just brewed the Pliny two days ago, and I made a 2 liter yeast starter. I am glad I put a blow-off tube on this because I awoke the next morning to a volcanic-like eruption. Now, day 2, and it is starting to slow down, but there is a constant CO2 flow with a churning I have never before witnessed.

Only within the last few months have I discovered the hoppier, higher ABV beers, because of getting into home brewing. I sampled many, like: Pliny, Stone, Green Flash, Dogfishhead, etc. My favorites so far are Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewery and Stone's IPA. I still have many others to sample, but I am really hooked on the hoppy ones. My Red Trolley tastes very malty and sweet to me now.

I ordered the Pliny hops pack and decided to do black pliny, just adding a small bit of de-husked carafa III and de-bittered black patent. Should be fun!

I found a clone of pliny the elder clone on 365. Looks like you could make it for about $70-80 after shipping and taxes.

Just an added "late addition" to the OP:

I learned a lot from AHS all-grain kits, and had the pleasure of drinking the wonderful beers made from them. I learned about grain bills, hops and everything needed to brew great beers from my own recipes.

The recipes Forrest puts out are excellent: I highly recommend his AHS kits, not just the clones. However, the clones I brewed were pretty darn close.

Much cheaper at austin homebrew now. Original post is old.

Forrest

Yep.

After switching to all grain, having my own yeast, and not selecting any of the other options, it costs $52.20 + shipping.

Now if you can brew this almost half as decent as RR, that's a STEAL for this quality of a beer.

Just a thought of mine,
J

Just brewed my Pliny kit from AHBS this past weekend. Like Shepherd5 did, I put the blowoff tube on after the first day because it was getting angry. Can't wait!

BTMVO said:
Just brewed my Pliny kit from AHBS this past weekend. Like Shepherd5 did, I put the blowoff tube on after the first day because it was getting angry. Can't wait!

Finally brewed mine last Thursday. Took the blowoff tube off yesterday. Stir plate yeast starter + this kit = holy crap!

Going to be a rough year with the way hops are selling out all over. May have to brew some lower grav beers to keep my brewing fix going every week to two weeks.

I got my kit here: http://www.boomchugalug.com/product/whiny-the-youngster-imperial-ipa
i did two things different: the instructions call for a dry hop, once.. not like RR's recipe wants two.. so on second dry-hop - 7 days after the first, i added .75oz Citra also.
the recipe calls for a 60 min boil, not 90 like the RR site.
ill be getting some Pliny on next w/e's trip to Sandy Ego and by then the Pliny clone will be carbed and ready for a comparison.

Back