My first dunkel-weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, I love these weizens. My first Hefe turned out excellent so time for my second: a Dunkel. I'm not too sure about the hop additions, so comments welcome. I'll be brewing this tonight.

Laubmeister's Dunkel Weizen
note: Laubmeister is my German grandparents last name, they were from Mannheim.

EDIT: NB Sent me 4 extra lbs of wheat instead of pils like I had ordered. So, here's the new recipe: A Weizenbock

OG 1.074
Efficiency 75%
IBU: 24

8lb German Wheat Malt
3.5lb Belgium Pale Malt
2lb German Dark Wheat Malt
.5lb Cara aroma

1oz Hallertauer 60min
.25oz Hallertauer 40min

WLP300 Yeast with 36hour starter

EDIT ORIGINAL RECIPE BELOW:
SG: 1.056
IBU: 28
SRM: 11
pint11.jpg

FG: 1.015

4lb German Pils
4lb German Wheat
2lb German Dark Wheat
.5lb Caraaroma

1oz Hallertauer 60 min
.75oz Hallertauer 30 min
.25oz Hallertauer 15 min

WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast

I should be getting these ingredients today AND my first BB... get to watch this one in action. Expect LOTS of pictures on this brew.

Never done one myself, but I would love to hear how it turns out. Seems like those hop additions shouldn't be too much for the style.

I'm actually making one of these this weekend! I have a hefeweizen in primary now that will be 2 weeks this Sunday and we're going to put a dunkelweizen right on top.

I haven't settled on a recipe yet but I think I'm going to go with 55% wheat, 45% munich and only 22g or so of Hallertauer at 60m. I've never made one before so I have no idea how it will turn out, but the hefe is awesome so I think it will make a great pairing. :) The yeast we're using is Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen.

Did you have any lautering problems with your first weizen? I had a pretty slow run-off (batch sparge) so I'm adding 300g or so of rice hulls to this mash.

My first weizen was like 50% wheat and I had NO problems, the run-off was real fast and I also batch sparged.. It was my second AG too. I didn't use rice hulls, never have. I've used WLP300 and loved it so much I'm gonna use it for this one. I'm stocking up on bulk wheat soon and gonna just keep the cake going 2 or 3 times off this one. weizen, weizen, weizen .. .mmmmmmm!

Did a dunkel not too long ago.....it was a slight disaster. Fermentation got stuck around 1.03, added more yeast...nothing....then the biggest mistake of all time; we added some Beno, which eventually brought the final gravity down, but the beer ended real dry, tooooo dry. Then we over carbonated it so much that no matter how you poured it, it was mostly foam. Oh, and we used White Labs 380 yeast and fermented at too high of a temp. so it was extremely banana smell and flavor. But we drank it all, finaly. Good luck with yours, i am def. going to try one again.

what was your mash schedule like? I have a heffe in primary now, and want to do a dunkel to throw on top of that yeast when its done.

Personally I just did a single infusion with no rests. I use a cooler for a mash tun so I can't increase the temp easily so I usually don't bother. I mashed at 153F for 60 minutes.

Forgot about this thread, but I did switch this beer over to a secondary today. I was gonna just bottle it in a week, but I wanted to pitch my brew tonight (which is mashing right now) on its yeast cake.

It tasted FABULOUS.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMM, this beer has turned out good. Needed some time, but really good now. The banana/clove is SO smooth throughout the beer, almost hard to tell the difference from a regular hefe, but it has a subtle caramel flavor to it... very subtle, was a little too strong at first but has mellowed out over the past few weeks.

7564-laubmeisterWB.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed the goofy little anniversary present on the left, sorry bout that.

Latest posts

Back