Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could probably do 2-4 sacks if delivery/pickup is in Manchester, CT.

Hey everyone. I PM'ed most people, but for anyone I missed (jaginger, you PM box is full) we're all looking to see if we can get to our 42 sacks with some new interest on this buy. This is what we have so far, and I'll be editing this post as more solid replies come it. The more sacks we get the sooner we can actually get this done.

kyles609
- 3 2-Row US
- 1 2-Row UK
- 1 Marris Otter
Monox
- 2 Marris Otter
Golddiggie
- 2 Bairds UK 2-Row
- 2 Bairds Marris Otter
- 1 Thomas Faucett Golden Promise
a_w_taylor
- 2 2-Row
- 1 Wheat
- 1 Pilsen
- 1 Marris Otter
dami860
- 1 2-Row US
konrad
- 1 Marris Otter
- 1 Pilsner
- 1 2row
- 1/2 Vienna
RIT_Warrior
- 1 2-Row Canadian
- 1 Bairds Pale Malt
jaginger
- 1 Marris Otter
- 1/2 Vienna
tomj
- 2 Canada Malting 2 row
- 2 Maris Otter
- 1 Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
- 2 Best Malz Pilsen
- 1 Gilbertson flaked wheat
godrick
- 2 2-Row
- 2 Marris Otter
mikeho
- 1 2-Row
xerotime
- 1 Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
- 1 2 Row Canadian

42 Bags!!

PM's are scarce, feel free to email me at my username at yahoo dot com

Tried to reply to your PM Kyle, but your inbox is full.

Here's the text;

Kyle,
Couple questions...

Have you confirmed pricing with NCM? The catalog is dated 2010.

I assume the pallet fee will be divided up at $2/bag?

How will the money be collected?

Thanks for your time and for trying to get this off the ground!

If you're keeping score - I'm in for at least two bags if the pickup is in Longmeadow. Anything further east I'd have to really think about.

Cheers,

I'm still possibly in for a couple bags but where is the pickup going to be? Longmeadow is a pretty long ride for me.

Pernox, sorry I replied here instead of the PM on accident:

I'm thinking Longmeadow is a little west for most. Shrewsbury or Central CT would probably work best (Manchester). Many people are willing to help out moving grain around too. We will have to pin down something soon. I guess everyone should start giving me their locations as well as if the have the ability to accept a delivery. I am in Spencer MA. About 20 Minutes from worcester and 15 minutes from Sturbridge (I-90/I84 Interchange). Let me know everyone. Email me (username) at yahoo.

- Kyle

For anyone not looking, or able, to get out to the drop-off location (hope it's Shrewsbury), I should be able to fit more than just my 5 sacks-o-grain in the bed of my [de]Ranger... I do have a bed cover, to help protect things inside the bed, but I should have enough room under that. I also have a bed extender, so we could even fit a few sacks on the tailgate (dropped and secured)...

So come on people, sack UP on some grain already! :rockin:

depending on pickup location I'm in for 1 sack of US 2-Row (which I guess is the Canadian Malting 2-Row since I don't think they carry any other according to the pdf) and 1 Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter

Just emailed you kyles. 1 bag MO and 1/2 vienna for me, provided pricing is comparable to the last group buy. Manchester is great for pickup.

Is there anybody else who's in from the northwestern corner of the state? I need to get a sack, but I don't see the value if I've got to drive a lot more than an hour for pickup.

Could everyone who wants a pickup from Manchester give me a PM? I'd be glad to help out, but my poor Camry has a size and weight limit, so I don't want to promise what I can't deliver. I figure I can fit about 8 bags in it total, 2 of which will be for me. That leaves room for about 6 others.

Man how I'm wishing I were in your area to try and work something out. Although since I can purchase small quantities of bags from Country Malt Group at their Didsbury, Alberta warehouse, and pick them up personally, my main issue is trying to find people to split bags with. Just picked up a bunch of malts, but I need specialty grains, but I don't see value in having 55lbs bags of a bunch of specialty malts that I'll only be using a pound or two in a given batch of beer.

Kyle,
Your PM inbox is full so I can't pm you. When I click on the link all I get is that the file is damaged and cannot be opened! Any ideas?
godrick

I'm getting off the fence, I'll take a bag of 2-row. I don't have a mill, but may get one soon, and seeing as how long it took this group buy to get going, there may not be another for a while.

Hey everyone. Looks like we're at 42 bags. If we can come up with a pickup location and I will talk to fellow HBT members who can help place this order, then we shouldn't have much more to go. I have a few people's locations, but please e-mail me 1) your current location, 2) if you can help move some bags for other members, 3) If you have a place that would be good to use for drop off.

Here is what we have:

kyles609 (Spencer/Sturbridge MA)
- 3 Canadian 2-Row CM-2ROW ($27/Sack)
- 1 UK 2-Row BD-PALE ($31.90/Sack)
- 1 Bairds Marris Otter BD-MOPA ($36.85/Sack)

Monox (Framingham, MA)
- 2 Bairds Marris Otter BD-MOPA ($36.85/Sack)

Golddiggie (Natick MA - Prefers Shrewsbury)
- 4 Bairds UK 2-Row BD-PALE ($31.90/Sack)
- 1 Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise TF-GPRM ($41.25/Sack)

a_w_taylor (Trumbull CT)
- 2 Canadian 2-Row CM-2ROW ($27/Sack)
- 1 Canadian Wheat CM-WHET ($29.15/Sack)
- 1 Bairds Pilsner BD-PILS ($31.90/Sack)

dami860
- 1 Canadian 2-Row CM-2ROW ($27/Sack)

konrad
- 1 Bairds Pilsner BD-PILS ($31.90/Sack)
- 1/2 Bairds Vienna BD-VIEN ($32.45/Sack)

RIT_Warrior (Manchester, CT)
- 1 Bairds Pale Malt BD-PALE ($31.90/Sack)

jaginger
- 1/2 Bairds Vienna BD-VIEN ($32.45/Sack)

tomj (Wallingford, CT)
- 1 Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise TF-GPRM ($41.25/Sack)
- 2 Best Malz Pilsen BZ-PILS ($32.45/Sack)
- 1 Gilbertson flaked wheat (GP-FLWHT) ($28.60/Sack)

godrick (Manchester, CT)

mikeho (Sudbury, MA)

xerotime
- 1 Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter TF-MOPA ($40.15/Sack)

If I have put a Malting company down for you and you would like a different one please let me know. If you didn't specify I just chose the most reasonable price for you.

Here is thread that has a link to the 2011 price list. It is in the first post with a password: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/raleigh-area-group-grain-buy-round-4-a-224304/

Fees:

$80/Pallet = $1.91/Sack (Delivery)
$16/Pallet = $.38/Sack (Fuel Surcharge)
$75/Pallet = $1.79/sack max (Life Gate Fee - Max, could be less)
Total $4.08, could be slightly less.

We're at 42 Bags right now. If everyone pulls through we should be good. Please watch the thread.

I cant hold too many PM's so please use E-mail. kyles609 - at - yahoo Thanks

Remember, If I take delivery in Sturbridge that I drive from Sturbridge to Newark, NJ (84 to 91 to 15 all the way down) so I can meet people after delivery in CT) Also my friend works in Hudson MA at a car dealership and I could likely have you pick up from there. Let Me know!!

I can pick up more grain if the location doesn't work for people that are closer to Natick. If it's in Sturbridge, then I can drop off for people along rt.20, as well as up in Sudbury and those areas. A few dollars to help pay for the extra fuel I'll burn would be appreciated... Between the supercab of the truck, and the 6' bed (even with the cover on it) I should be able to help out at least a few people. Even if it means my grain gets crammed into the cab with me. :D :rockin:

We are getting pricing together with CMG now and should have some firm pricing on or just after Monday. If they charge for a residential address I think the Shrewsbury delivery will be the way to go. I think there will be plenty of help from everyone. :mug:

- Kyle

Edit: The prices I used were from the < 1,000 column. They will be slightly cheaper under the > 2,000 column. Ex: 55 lbs 2-Row will be $25.30, not $26.95. Good news I guess. Hoping to have totals for everyone on Monday.

Good to know to use the 2,000#-4,000# column for figuring out the price... Only ended up saving a few dollars (about $12) in the end for me, but I'll take all the extra savings I can get... Even with the freight charges, comes out to under $37 per 55 pound sack, on average, for me... :ban:

Just for giggles, I compared with grain at the LHBS... :eek: :eek: To get two sacks of MO, and five of UK 2 Row (they don't sell Bairds or Thomas Fawcett) I would end up spending about $462... :eek:

With what I'm saving by going in on the group buy, I can easily afford a grain mill/crusher... Plus have some money left over. :rockin:

We need to try and make this an annual item...

I can pick up more grain if the location doesn't work for people that are closer to Natick. If it's in Sturbridge, then I can drop off for people along rt.20, as well as up in Sudbury and those areas. A few dollars to help pay for the extra fuel I'll burn would be appreciated... Between the supercab of the truck, and the 6' bed (even with the cover on it) I should be able to help out at least a few people. Even if it means my grain gets crammed into the cab with me. :D :rockin:

That would be great, and I'd be willing to kick in a sixer as well as chip in for fuel. Also it sounds like you might be getting a mill, any chance I could mill ten pounds here and there until I get a mill?

Hey everyone. There is still a few people I haven't got an e-mail from or acknowledgment from since we decided how many bags we were all ordering. I need to confirm order totals for you and confirm that you are going to be able to pay when we get the final invoice for this order.

I am thinking Shrewsbury is the way to go for a pickup/drop location just because that is the only place that we have a business so far. Other people may not be around for delivery and there would be a charge to specify a delivery date.

These are the people I need to confirm totals with that I don't have e-mails for (Please e-mail me as soon as you can.)

dami860:
grain 25.30
ship 5.00
Total $30.30

konrad
$123.65

tomj
$290.80

mikeho
$30.30

Thanks guys. Remember e-mail is the way to go for me. kyles609 at yahoo

Payments have been triclking in. We are still waiting on payment from:

Golddiggie
A_W_Taylor
Jaginger
TomJ
Shipwreck

Id like to get the payment into CMG today for delivery next week.

Thanks

Paid earlier today... Didn't want to be the yackass holding things up... :D Especially since I kept prodding Kyle to get this thing rolling... :eek:

For anyone in on this, and cannot get out to the drop-off location (Shrewsbury) and is 'close' to Natick (or can be made part of the return trip) I can pick up the grain for you and bring it to either your place, or where you want to get it... So, pretty much anyone inside the 495 belt...

Only 1 person not paid at this point:

Jaginger

I have layed out the cash to get this order moving, it will be delivered on Weds 2/23/2011.

I will wait til Monday 8am for payment and then 1 sack Marris Otter and 1/2 Sack Vienna goes to the highest bidder.

I'll let everyone know once the grain arrives and co-ordinate when I'll be here for people to pick up. I do know that I will be out of state on Saturday the 26th but can probably be available that morning if necessary.

I should be able to pickup during the day once it arrives... Just need to know times and such...

Brewing at a Strange Brew on the 26th, so that day is out for me to pick up... But, I can do during the week for the coming week...

Thanks Jaginger!

If anyone is going to be using I90 exit 11 on the way to/from pickup (specifically on Thursday) please let me know, i need someone to drop my sacks off at a friends house which is about a minute from that exit.

I am so upset I missed this. If you do this again pleas let me know. Also if anyone wants to unload some grain let me know.

Grains should be delivered tomorrow. Do we have any details for pickup address and times?

Yeah, I want to know when I can go out to get my grainz... I just placed my mill order, which should be here before the end of the week... Looking forward to being able to make something with the fresh grain soon.

I could drive out after it arrives tomorrow, or Thursday if that's better for where it's being delivered to. Just need to know what times work best for the delivery location.

Also still able to bring grain back my way for anyone that isn't able to get out to Shrewsbury during the week.

I love my mill.

I hope you have a good drill for your mill. When I first got my mill I only had a cordless with 2 batteries. Batteries died quick and I had to put the hand crank back on.

I love my mill.

Ditto - I got the 7lb hopper on the Barley Crusher and have been very happy. I think that once I step up to 10g batches I'll rig up my old B&D corded drill, but until then I can use the workout of grinding. I've actually been getting my 4yo son to help out!

Re: drill

i have found that you dont want to just blast through at 5000rpm (or whatever full speed is). sometimes its tough to control speed with a hand drill.

I use a hitachi cordless that has a low and a high and also a switch that limits the trigger to half way. i grind on low, with the halfway trigger setting. you definitly need a good drill (or the right drill i should say) i smoked my corded portercable drill trying to dial down the rpms.

I have a DeWalt 18v XRP hammer drill... Came with a spare battery, so I should be all set there. If it doesn't have enough juice to do the job for the entire grain bill, then I could get the ancient 1/2" drill that's up at my mother's place (think we moved up from FL with it)... It's at least 50 years old, a beast of a drill, and will probably laugh at me when I put it on the mill.

With the drill I have now, I was planning on using the lowest speed range setting (it has 3 speed ranges) and control the trigger to make it work right. I read that you want to spin it at about 500rpm (not 5000rpm.. YIKES!)...

Glad that the model coming does have the handle with it, in case a large grain bill is too much for the drill to power through...

I'm already planning on brewing up my MOAB recipe... I'll be crushing about 22# of grain for that recipe alone... :ban: That's not including the grain I already have on hand that came milled/crushed already. That's for a finished batch size of ~5 gallons... :rockin: :drunk:

Back