Dry hopped my eye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
General Technique: When smelling an empty hop sachet while driving on your way to work, be mindful not to laugh through your nose, lest you blow the remaining hop resin from the bottom of the sachet up into your eye causing temporary blindness and less-than-temporary pain.

Hmm I never thought of keeping those hop sachets around to smell throughout the week! Of course I've kept a few around here and there, but that is a great idea...get your hop fix all day long! Sorry to hear you blew it in your eye though!

If your experience was anything like my memory of trying to take a dip of old dry Copenhagen with the windows down at 65 mph, I'm glad you survived and are still around to warn the others. It's amazing how difficult driving becomes when one of your eyes immediately turns into a burning shower head!

Why is no one else questioning why someone would be sniffing a hop bag while driving to work?

Oh right, we brew beer.

Should have used a muslin bag and none of this would have happened. Safety first... or last - what ever still funny!

Which hop? I bet the aroma was great.......
American Bravo, as a matter of fact! It was the last bag, or sachet, my LHBS was carrying (or will ever carry for that matter – was told it wasn’t popular enough to keep in stock) and I had just dropped it into 5.25 gallons of American Pale ale before I headed out the door for work.

The eye has recovered nicely. The Pale Ale could’ve used another ounce.

I'm anxiously waiting for the day when somebody figures out how to make hop-based Anti-Perspirant.

And I thought I was the only one that does this! One time my boss thought that I had a bag of something "else" in my locker. Ever since then the hops stay home!

When did we start calling bags sachets?

a sachet is a scented bag according to wiki...haha. OP uses proper english.

I do this too but thats if I have an open refrigerated bag. If you let it sit out at room temp too long it starts to smell funky and old.

Tom's of Maine uses hop extract in their antiperspirant. You don't really get the hop aroma though. The hop extract is used to "inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria" according to the label. It's good stuff, I recommend it.

Back