Shelf life of Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martink49

Reaction score
If I were to order two recipe kits from Midwest, how long would the second pack of dry yeast last before it was useless? That is, how long would I be able to delay brewing the second brew?

Thanks!
And apologies for the very newbie question.

Dry yeast, if stored properly, have a long shelf life. Some will say upwards of a year or two when stored in the fridge. Dry yeast still loses viability over time, but when stored cold and compared to liquid, it's much longer.

You're good to go unless you don't plan on brewing again for a year or more. Just keep it in the fridge until you're ready.

What's the shelf life of hops and crushed grain? I would think those might be the bigger issue depending upon how long OP might wait to brew the second batch.

How long will yeast last?

About this long :D

kitteh.jpg

No matter what you tend to brew and the yeast you use, it is a good idea to keep a couple of different kinds of dry yeast around. Then, in an emergency you do have a backup.

This is especially important for you folks that need to ship your supplies in.

Put the yeast and LME in the fridge, crushed grains/hops go in the freezer in sealed bags. I've kept crushed grain in my freezer for 5-6moz with no ill effects, hops store for a year or two, dry yeast will keep for over a year.

Back