WLP007 side by side w/Notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
brewed up 10 gallons of blonde ale yesterday. I pitched a 2L starter of WLP007 dry english ale into one carboy, and one large packet of properly rehydrated nottingham dry yeast into the other just to see the difference. I love doing yeasts side by side.

Pitched around 7pm last night.

By 8 am the WLP007 was rockin hard!! The Notty was perfectly still. After work the 007 looked like it was going to need a blowoff and the Notty was just starting to form a kreusen.

Pretty interesting lag time difference, I thought they'd be much closer. BTW if you havent tried WLP007 in an ale, do it!! Its a great yeast, my new favorite.

brewed up 10 gallons of blonde ale yesterday. I pitched a 2L starter of WLP007 dry english ale into one carboy, and one large packet of properly rehydrated nottingham dry yeast into the other just to see the difference. I love doing yeasts side by side.

Pitched around 7pm last night.

By 8 am the WLP007 was rockin hard!! The Notty was perfectly still. After work the 007 looked like it was going to need a blowoff and the Notty was just starting to form a kreusen.

Pretty interesting lag time difference, I thought they'd be much closer. BTW if you havent tried WLP007 in an ale, do it!! Its a great yeast, my new favorite.

Good deal! Let us know how they compare when you can do a taste test.

The 007 gives me a nice crisp, dry, clean Ale that has slight esters and lets the hops shine through. The Nottingham at the same temp, same wort gave a very estery beer compared to the 007. It was not as dry, and overall was dominated by yeast derived flavors. The Hops didnt come through as much in the Nottingham batch, and overall it was not as good of a beer in my and others' opinions.

The 007 flocc'd out much harder and looked filtered, the Nottingham was clear with a slight, slight haze.

Overall I dont think I'll be using much Nottingham for clean ale styles, the 007 was much more neutral, had better hop character, flocced out better, attenuated better, and gave me a much more enjoyable finished product.

My experience with nottingham has been hit or miss. 2 months ago I brewed a batch of Edwort's pale ale, with nottingham. I rehydrated properly, and oxygenated the wort like I always do. It took 72 hours to START fermentation. I never have problems with any other yeast, including other dry yeasts. I know notty has quite a fanbase, but i've noticed more complaints like mine on the forum. Does anyone know if the yeast has been changed in some way?

Back