Burton Water Salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I had just a quick question about burton water salts. What exactly does using a Burton on Trent water profile do to the taste of your beers? I understand that its just a regional water profile but if you brewed a pale ale and used regular spring water, and then brewed the same beer with distilled water w/burton water salts, what is going to be the taste difference. thanks for any info

Thanks, are we talking about sharpening the bitterness thats there, or are we talking about making a 25 IBU beer taste like a 40?

This is maybe a bad example, but it's what comes to mind: think of the bitterness of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (which, AFAICT is heavily Burtonized) versus the bitterness of a Pilsner Urquell. They are probably just about the same IBUs, but the SNPA has a "sharpness" that PU does not. True, this is probably as much to do with the hop varieties, fermentation, and grainbill differences, but... y'know.

Too much Burton salts makes you all parched the morning after a bender.:cross::drunk:

damn well I'm a bender kinda guy, lol, thanks for the sierra nevada example, maybe the burton salts will help me bring that sharpness out in my pale ales. All I have ever used is regular spring water with no mineral additions.

Back