Wit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this post on the "Brewing With Wheat" site in prep for the new book:

rewing it, I find that it does not have to be 50% unmalted wheat. However, the expected turbdity is diminished or missing without it. I use whole grain wheat, rather than flake and get better color and turbidity results that way. Malted white wheat adds silkiness and toastiness, so I use a blend of the two. The recipe comes out to 30% Pilsner, 45% malted wheat, 22% unmalted wheat and 3% acid malt. The acid malt gives a brighter flavor and helps lower mash pH. It comes out surprisingly light and delicate for 13.6P.

Biermuncher also has a great wit recipe, thats a little more "Americanized". I won 3rd place in the HBT comp with it, so its in my recipe dropdown.

I really like using orange zest. I trust fresh zest a lot more than the dried orange peel thats been sitting on my LHBS shelf for who knows how long. Crush whole Coriander if possible.

Actually thinking about trying this one today. Still a rough draft though as I do not know what yeast my LHBS will have in stock today.

4 lbs Pilsen Malt
5 lbs Wheat Malt

1.25 oz Tettnanger @ 60 min (17 IBU)
.75 oz Tettnanger @ 5 min (2 IBU)
1 oz Orange Peel @ Flameout and Steep
1 oz Crushed Coriander @ Flameout and Steep

1 oz Orange Peel for last 7 days in Primary
1 oz Crushed Coriander for last 7 days in Primary

Hoping LHBS will have WLP400

Estimated OG = 1.050
Target FG = 1.012
19 IBU

Going to ferment at ambient temperature which has been high 60's low 70.

Any suggestions for a wit?

EDIT** Just read that true Wit beers call for unmalted wheat. Whats the difference when brewing with malted and unmalted wheat (other than the obvious)?

Unmalted wheat is a lot higher in protein than malted. It gives that really nice turbidity classic in Witbiers. Compare a Hefeweizen to a Wit. While the Hefe is cloudy, a Wit tends to have a brighter or lighter colored haziness, which is contributed by unmalted wheat.

The easiest form of unmalted wheat is flaked or torrified. These can be used directly in the mash. For your recipe, I'd sub at least half of the wheat malt for unmalted wheat.

yah that recipe was constructed prior to learning unmalted wheat is used. i may also use oats as well.

are rice hulls recommended when mashing with unmalted wheat? also, red or white unmalted wheat?

Looks pretty good, like Ed said get some flaked wheat in that bad boy and you'll be in business!

Here is my basic recipe:
4.5lbs Pilsner
3lbs White Wheat
2.5lbs Flaked Wheat
.5lb Rice Hulls

3 oz Orange Peel
1oz (or a little less) Crushed Coriander

Mash 152 for 75 mins

here's my recipe and a good thread that resulted from a question I had about pilsener malt and DMS. The recipe is on the second page of the post and it turned out excellent and was my wife's favorite beer of all time. I will be making it again this month actually. the thread might be informative too.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/witbier-pilsner-vigorous-boil-not-121444/

Back