How bad is this screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyGwen

Reaction score
I just went thru the "did I ruin my beer' section and didn't see my issue so here goes

We brewed a chocolate stout from a kit we got from Austin Homebrew.. Added the alcohol boost etc.

What I thought was odd was that there was no beer add pack, or so we thought.. So we just brewed it anyway...

I found the beer add pack w/priming sugar in a bag with the small bag of bottle priming sugar today amongst some other stuff we had. We brewed the stout on 6/6.

Did I totally blow it? Is there any way I can salvage the stout? It figures me and my dh both pick a beer and I seemed to have ruined my pick..

Any help would be awesome.. Thanks in advance

Is the beer add pack the malt extract? If that is the case, you'll have to find a way to get that in there.

When you buy a kit from AHB it comes with the grain, malt etc.. The kits come with a 'beer add pack' that you're supposed to throw in when it's boiling.. (it looks like sugar)

According to AHB web site, the "beer add pack" for that kit is maltodextrin and some corn sugar/DME blend.

You'll probably end up with a lighter bodied, slightly less alcohol-y stout. Definitely not ruined-- just different.

-Steve

Did a little google to clarify things...

our beer kit add pack is a blend of dried malt extract, corn sugar and maltodextrin, it will provide the best results, much better than granulated table sugar.

Hmmm looks like that is used to boost the grav of your beer, but with the malto, also increase the body as well....did you take a hydrometer reading? Your OG should have been different than what it said it would be in the instructions.

Well at this point your fermentation is pretty much over, so there's probably no point in bothering to add it...You still made beer, it just won't be a stout....more than likely it will be closer in body to a brown ale.

But still drinkable...

Next time you brew a kit...spread everything out on the counter and make sure you have every ingredient that the recipe said should be there, just like with cooking.

Did a little google to clarify things...

Hmmm looks like that is used to boost the grav of your beer, but with the malto, also increase the body as well....did you take a hydrometer reading? Your OG should have been different than what it said it would be in the instructions.

Well at this point your fermentation is pretty much over, so there's probably no point in bothering to add it...You still made beer, it just won't be a stout....more than likely it will be closer in body to a brown ale.

But still drinkable...

Next time you brew a kit...spread everything out on the counter and make sure you have every ingredient that the recipe said should be there, just like with cooking.

My dh is on the phone w/ ABH..
At first the guy said to take some water and boil it w/it and cool it down. But then he realized there will be no room in the bucket for it.. My dh suggested taking a gallon of the mixture out and doing it that way.. So the guy he was on the phone with asked someone and said it was a good idea so that's what we are going to do..

We did have everything laid out.. we had several distractions that night so it was easy to miss.

Thanks! :)

At first the guy said to take some water and boil it w/it and cool it down. But then he realized there will be no room in the bucket for it.. My dh suggested taking a gallon of the mixture out and doing it that way..

How much stuff is in the "beer pack"? At first I thought it was just a little and not much to worry about, but now I wonder if you're fermentables are considerably lower without it. Did you take a gravity reading?

Wait, you're taking a gallon of your partially fermented beer and boiling it with the add pack, then putting it back in? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me at all - if that's your only option then I would just leave it out. If you have room for another quart of liquid in the bucket, I might mix the add pack with a quart of water, heat to pasteurize then cool and add it - but I wouldn't take out beer from the fermenter to do it.

I did one of those AHS kits (Stimulus Package Red Ale) recently, and the dextrose/DME/maltodextrin brew pack was about 2 pounds. I don't know if the brew pack is a standard item or one that itself varies kit to kit, though. So it is pretty significant.

Killer Robot is right about the amount that was in the pack.. We did the stimulus choc stout.. The O.G. 1.048...

ifishsum we are going to do the water option.. It seems more logical to do.. We weren't comfortable about reheating the yeast.

Back