Carbed, but not absorbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I cracked open a bottle of Belgian Ale that I brewed from a Brewers Best kit.
The beer was damn good, but the first couple of ounces foamed up the entire pint glass. It took about 20 min for the foam to subside enough to get the whole bottle poured. (yes I know how to pour)The foam was excessivly bitter, but the beer was great. Tasted like it wasn't fully carbed.
I know it was a bit green and that is part of the reason I taste tested this one. It seems to have had plenty of carbonation in the bottle, but could the foam be a result of it not being absorbed into the beer yet?
5oz of priming sugar was used in the 5 gallon batch and it was only refrigerated about 5 hours prior to drinking. It had been in bottles about 2 weeks.
Thanks.:drunk:

It had been in bottles about 2 weeks.

Patience grasshopper. Plus after being in the bottles for 2 weeks, (should be minimum 3 before judging anything), how long was it chilled before drinking? The co2 will absorb more and faster when chilled.

Carb for 3 weeks, then put in fridge for 3 days to allow absorption and settling is a good method I like to use when i used to bottle.

The foam is the CO2 coming out of solution. So, there was plenty of carbonation, it just came blasting out. More time in the bottle for the small nucleation sites (AKA micro-trub) and more time to chill will help.

Thanks for the replys. I knew it was not ready, but being the new brewer that I am I wanted to see how they were when green and figured it was just a matter of time vs temp or somethign along those lines. And I figured I would sacrifice one early for the sake of learning. I will likely leave these in the corner for a few more weeks and then chill for a few days before tearing into the rest.

i had the same with the first Belgian i tried, plenty of carb on top , but not IN the beer, too green, 4 weeks MINIMUM on the high og beers ( not an expert) you'll be really happy you waited

Back