lot analysis data for Weyermann malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source where I can buy bags of Weyermann malt AND get lot analysis data?

I have been buying my malt from Crosby Baker through my LHBS. While I’m willing to pay the premium for this excellent German malt (I pay ~$60 for the 55 lb bag) I don’t understand why I cannot get the lot analysis data if I’m paying this price.

Granted a home brewer should not have to worry about detailed data like this but let me be the judge of this.

I have contacted Weyermann and Crosby Baker about this. Weyermann told me that I’m ordering too little to get the data from them. Something I understand as I don’t think they should be responsible to handle the inquires from all the home brewers who want data for their bags of malt. But Crosby Baker, as the importer should be able to get this data from Weyermann and give it to me on request.

If anyone else is interested in this data for their malt, just send an e-mail to Crosby Baker ([email protected]) and ask them if you can have malt analysis data. Maybe if enough brewers ask they’ll bother giving this data out.

Kai

Will do.

Someone linked here recently to Cargill's site which allows you to look up the analysis based on a lot number printed on the bag. This seems like the ideal solution for everyone involved.

I'll have to check my sacks at home, but could have sworn they were included on the bag.
PM me the lot number details and I'll check with my malt pusher to see if I can get an answer for you.

I was privy, possibly OP to the thread mentioned. Cargil's LA site is ;

Lot Analysis Program - Cargill Malt Specialty Products Group

No Weyermann malt tho'.

IIRC, from the mentioned thread, North Country both carries Weyermann but also (on request) provides MA sheets even for minimal orders (like Ounces).

Maybe you can call NC and get the data you want from them.

North Country Malt Supply

I would so like to order from NC but, man their shipping kills me.

Weyermann publishes annual averages. However the range given for SNR in particular for their pilsner malt is really unhelpful. It would be necessary to have to analysis for the correct lot.

I checked the catalog and North Country Malt and they don’t carry Weyermann. They have BestMalz and I wasn’t pleased with the quality of the malt I got. But I used them only once for Dark Munich.

The ideal solution would be a database at the Weyermann web page, I agree.

Kai

I checked the catalog and North Country Malt and they don’t carry Weyermann. They have BestMalz and I wasn’t pleased with the quality of the malt I got. But I used them only once for Dark Munich.

The ideal solution would be a database at the Weyermann web page, I agree.

Kai

You would think that everyone would just put this info up on the web. Even if it was just scanned pdf or jpg and not in a database that would be fine by me

I sent Crosby Baker another e-mail asking why they can’t give me the lot analysis data. I just don’t see why I can’t have it if I pay $60 for a bag of malt.

Kai

I bought a sack of BestMalz pilsener malt from North Country and they sent the lot-specific malt analyses for everything I ordered without me even asking... even for 10 lbs of munich. I was very happy with the pilsener malt and will probably order it again. I made a lot of Helles with it.:)

Weyermann does make a good malt, but if they or Crosby aren't even willing to supply lot-specific malt analyses on request, then maybe North Country and BestMalz will get more business.;)

I just got an e-mail back from C&B and they say that it is Weyermann that is not giving them the lot analysis data. They keep referring to their average specs. C&B is in talks with Weyermann to get this data on the web but I’m not sure how far along that actually is. But it would be great if that would happen soon.

I guess we should give it some time and then somebody else should contact them about lot analysis specs. Just to keep the pressure up. Does Weyermann attend the AHA Confrence? If yes, I would need all of you that go there go to the Weyermann table and ask them why we can’t get lot analysis data.

Kai

Back