24 qt brewpot big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathbone

Reaction score
That's a 6 gallon brewpot. I'm sticking with stovetop extract brewing and anticipate brewing like this for quite a while. Is that going to be large enough for my 5 gallon brew sizes? Any particular reason why this would not be big enough?

I brew in a 20 qt pot (5 gallon) and I have plenty of room. Keep in mind you will only be boiling about 3.5-4 gallons of actual wort, the rest of the volume is just top-off water, so 24 qt is more than you'll need for extract brewing. It won't be enough if you ever go all grain, however, so just keep that in mind.

fine for partial boils like brew dude said.

for full boils...1 gallon of clearance isn't enough...as you actually need 6-7 gallons of wort initially, which boils down to the 5-5.25gal you'll put into the primary.

I have a 30 qt Proctor-Silex SS brewpot that I use for full 5-gallon boils. Why this size? It was on sale when I started brewing last November for $40 delivered. It works just fine for my extract brews. If you do all-grain, YMMV.

I use 8 gallon and still get boil over if I'm not carefull. Full wort boils are easier if you have the space.

Back