What's a good price for a ball-lock keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I see that kegs are getting more and more expensive. I found a guy on craigslist willing to sell me 5 kegs for $225. Is that a good deal?

That comes out to $45 bucks a keg, which is just alright for a price. But if I were getting 5 kegs, I'd want the intial cost a little lower. Does this price include the shipping? If so, that makes them worth it.

I'll be picking them myself. I haven't found any online stores that have them that cheap. The ones that do are not clean, and need new seals.

I am not in a hurry to build a kegerator, but don't want to pass up a decent deal.

If you can ever find them for $30 to $35 locally do not pass it up. I occasionally still find them at this price on Craigslist. $45 is ok, depending on condition.

Try looking up local beverage supply stores, and check if they have old stock of ball lock soda kegs that they're looking to get rid of. You may be surprised at the deals you can find, if you're willing to do some legwork (and then a LOT of cleaning).

@stratslinger, the few places I called seemed kinda pissed of at the stupid question.

@b-boy that's what I am trying.

45 per keg isn't bad.

This site sells them for 50 or 46 for a pinlock converted to a ball lock, or 87 for 2 pin locks converted to ball lock.

I would offer him the lot for 200 cause that's a lot of stuff to buy. But as long as he can prove they hold pressure I wouldn't be upset at 225 for 5 if you're gonna use all 5. Maybe you should see if anyone in your local Homebrew club is interested in buying a few and going in with you.

@stratslinger, the few places I called seemed kinda pissed of at the stupid question.

Really? The one local to me, where I get my CO2 tanks filled, is happy to get rid of their old cornies - they've switched over to bag-in-a-box. They actually gave me a few of them free a couple years back, and now my club buys them up cheap whenever they get a few of them freed up, and we divvy them up amongst whoever needs them. Granted, they're filthy with soda residue and need some serious cleanup and new gaskets, but you can't beat that price.

We sell them for 50 bucks online. So, $45 each for 5 kegs seems too much. Offer a lower amount for the bulk purchase. Replacement lids can run 20-25 bucks just themselves.

@stratslinger, I don't see too many distributors around my area.

@The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop, I'll be sure the kegs aren't missing any extra pieces. By picking them up locally, I am at least saving on shipping.

Back