Southport Brewing Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankiesurf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My fishing club had our awards dinner last night. We decided on Southport Brewing co. in Southport CT.

They are a brewpub chain with 5 or 6 locations. I would have to say the best thing about them is the Beer Mussels appetizer.

The thing I noticed about their beers was lack of hops and body.

I had two different IPA's. The East Coast and West Coast. Neither one had much in the way of hops bitterness. The West Coast had a slight, very slight hop aroma and the East Coast had zilch.

Their Red Ale had a decent light maltiness but no bitterness whatsoever.

I had a sip of the Porter but wasn't too thrilled with that at all.

All in all, if you are looking to try something new, I would avoid this place.

All they care about is making money, and there good at it, talk to the owners, they know the beer isn't great, but they can't make it any cheaper and make it better. Hops cost money...so does specialty malts and a good yeast.

Their beer is pretty terrible, I think my first mr beer kit ended up better than any of their beers. You shouldn't have to order a commercial beer at a brewpub. But if anyone goes there I would not get one of their beers, ( food isn't great either)

When I lived in milford I went there once and that was enough to not go back. BAR in new haven had better micro brew beer and pizza.

Back