Spent Grain recipes w/o bread machine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyBrewer

Reaction score
I have tried a few recipes found on other sites unsuccessfully and I'm tired of wasting my spent grain. Several of the recipes I've found here call for a bread machine, which I don't have. Can you guys please pass me your recipes please?

Here the recipe I've been using. I adapted it from a pizza dough recipe I found on epicurious that I liked. The recipe below will make two large loaves. This dough freezes well, so I always bake half and freeze half for later. I bake this on a pizza stone, using a pizza peel to transfer to and from oven.

Sponge (Day One)

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sugar or honey

Add yeast and sugar to warm water and allow to dissolve. Add yeast and water to flour, whisk to mix, and let it sit for a day (or two).

The next day, add the following to sponge:

2 cups spent grain
1 cup water
5+ cups flour

It will be a little wet, so you can dust more flour into it as you're kneading. I do the kneading in the kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook. (The wetter the dough, the more the bread will rise in the oven, but it has to be workable and not goopy. Add flour until you've achieved a good consistency.) Return to bowl, coat lightly with olive oil, cover, and allow to rise in refrigerator for 6 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and dump the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead briefly, then cut into two pieces. (This is where I freeze the second half). I like to shake some salt onto the cutting board to knead into the dough. Spread some flour onto a pizza peel, place dough on the peel and shape it into a loaf. Allow to rise at room temp for 1 - 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven to 550F. Just before baking, slash the top of the dough with a knife. Slide dough into oven. At this point, I squirt water into the oven to create humidity, but you can also put a pan of water into the oven. Lower oven temp to 450F and bake for 30 minutes, or until inside of loaf is 200F.

I really hope this recipe works for you! I make it all the time. Having the dough in the freezer is a real time saver.

As an aside, I recently brewed the Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, and that grain has been my favorite so far for baking.

I'll attach a pic of my latest loaf.

Image0154.jpg

Supermoth, that looks like a tasty loaf of bread. I'll have to give it a try. Looks like that flour/spent grain ratio should cut the "scratchy" feeling I seem to get with spent grain recipes.

CowboyBrewer, the Sept/Oct 2011 issue of Draft magazine had a whole article on spent grain cooking and featured a variety of recipes. I make the pizza dough recipe regularly and love it (I get two crusts out of a batch). I tried the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and asiago garlic bread, too, but found them a bit too scratchy for my tastes.

http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/169
http://draftmag.com/recipes/search.php?name=spent+grain&style=&ingredient=&dish=

I baked a couple loaves today that turned out great. First all grain beer, and first time baking bread

1 .25 ounce package rapid rise yeast
1 t white sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 12 fluid ounce can evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup melted shortening
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour
2 cups spent brewing grains (less if desired)
2 tablespoons butter
2 9x5 inch loaves

Directions
Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add bread flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled. Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown.

I'll bake this bread even if I haven't got any spent grains, it's great!

image-3219195260.jpg

bwirthlin said:
I baked a couple loaves today that turned out great. First all grain beer, and first time baking bread

1 t white sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 9x5 inch loaves

Directions
Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add bread flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled. Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown.

I'll bake this bread even if I haven't got any spent grains, it's great!

Just made two loafs of this and it smells awesome. Can't wait to try it in a bit.

1 t white sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 9x5 inch loaves

I have to say, the bread looks good, but that ingredient list is kind of ridiculous. Bread can be much simpler than this.

These days I dry my spent grain and grind it to flour (and add boiling water in a 1:1 ratio before using i.e. 1 cup spent grain flour with 1 cup hot water), but if being used wet, I prefer to pulverize it in a blender or food processor. The hulls jabbing me in the gums and getting stuck in my teeth is too annoying, otherwise.

A good place to start is looking at some of the recipes on King Arthur Flour's website and sticking to the whole grain recipes. You can also take most typical bread recipes and replace ~20% of the flour with spent grains and vital wheat gluten (at a rate of roughly 1 TBSP per cup of spent grains). As always, based on the moisture content (if using wet spent grain), you will have to adjust for consistency.

I also like to use honey instead of white or brown sugar, but that's just my preference.

And be careful when proofing whole grain breads. Don't let the first rise go too long and be gentle punching it down (just sort of massage it, not a full on kneeding or punch) before the second rise. Allow the second-rise to occur in whatever type of pan you plan to bake it in (or on a towel/couche so you can easily move it to a bread stone in the oven without over-handling)

I usually bake sourdoughs and did one yesterday based off a basic recipe as follows:
1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

I replaced one cup of the flour with a cup of spent grain flour (rehydrated with very hot water that I subtracted from the water in the recipe) + 1 Tbsp of vital wheat gluten. I used 2 Tbsp honey instead of sugar. That's it...

Latest posts

Back