Cam's Night Owl Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle US-05 or other clean ale yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
33.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 64°F
Tasting Notes
Balanced IPA with a hint of roastiness
12# 2-Row
1# Caramel/Crystal 60L
1# German Carafa Special II

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes.

Hops:
1.75 oz Chinook 10.5% 60 Minutes
0.50 oz Simcoe 13.0% 15 Minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo 7.5% 1 Minute
1.0 oz Simcoe 13.0% 1 Minute

1.0 oz Amarillo 7.5% Dry
1.0 oz Simcoe 13.0% Dry

As the tasting notes say, I went for a balanced IPA with just a little bit of roast to it. 2 oz of dry hop is a good place to start, but you could put more - maybe 3oz - if that suits you. I did try a variation with Carafa Special III, but felt it added too much roast and the beer wasn't as enjoyable (though still quite good). The difference between this recipe and some of the other Black IPA / CDAs out there is that the roasted grain goes into the whole mash, not just steeped at the end. You can do this with the Carafa Special grains because they are debittered (aka dehusked). I'm not as familiar with using roasted grains, so I can't give you a good sub if you need one.

As for yeast, I went with US-05 because that's what I have on hand, and I like it. Otherwise I'd go with White Labs WLP001.

Enjoy this beer. It's one I will likely keep coming back to on a regular basis.

If you were to do this again, would you lower the carafa to 8oz? I'm thinking of doing a CDA for one of my next ones, and this looks good. I think I just might add chinook in the later hops additions to try that out, as I havn't used it yet.

sweed said:
If you were to do this again, would you lower the carafa to 8oz? I'm thinking of doing a CDA for one of my next ones, and this looks good. I think I just might add chinook in the later hops additions to try that out, as I havn't used it yet.

No, I am happy with the grains.

How did the color turn out with the carafa 2? My brewing app says comes in around 26 SRM. Is it black or more brown?

How did the color turn out with the carafa 2? My brewing app says comes in around 26 SRM. Is it black or more brown?

It looks pretty black to me. My brewing software calculates it around 33 SRM using Morey.

Back