15 gallon brew stand, 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to brew all grain batches as small as five gallons on a brew stand using 15 gallon kegs?
Thanks

My only problem when I do this is I mounted my thermometer too high on my keggle mash tun, leaving it measuring open air during 5 gallon batches.... oops.

Yeah, my thermometer was a wee bit too high in the MLT too. I ended up making the 5 gallons batches with a higher water / grain ratio just to get the thermowell submerged, but it worked ok. If I'd been thinking, I would have mounted the thermometer a little lower to accommodate 5 & 10 gallon batches.....

Yea it works, actually about the most cost effective way being as kegs are about 30 bucks and good for up to 10-12 gallons of water

KuntzBrewing said:
Yea it works, actually about the most cost effective way being as kegs are about 30 bucks and good for up to 10-12 gallons of water

Where do you get kegs for $30?

This is going to head into the legalities of getting a keg... Just plan on this taking 6 months to procure, my sister's BF had a keg in his backyard for 10 years !

nice. one of the kegs I got my hands on was in a neighbors back yard for 14 years. half full....... this. smelled of pure vinegar. yum.

DSC05715.JPG
[/IMG]

Back