Increassing efficiency or making up for low efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarb

Reaction score
I am sure this has been covered extensively, but I am not sure exaclt what to search for. My efficiency has been in the 60-70% range, not horribl4e. But my latest recipe called for an OG of 1.066 and I ended up with 1.060. Once again not horrible, but consistent.

Should I up the grain bill a bit to get more out of it? What should I do to increase my efficiency?

You can always supplement with dry malt extract or syrup. Otherwise, increase the grain bill, boil longer, or work on improving your efficiency. :mug:

I'm a newbie at all-grain. This is my third batch, the first being a huge mistake. I have done plenty of extract brewing.

I'm new to all grain too. I designed my system from suggestions here and in the hobby.

I'm doing SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hops) recipes to find out what my system will produce. I just run the plan, take good measurements and notes, and enjoy what comes out at the end of the pipeline.

Your off by 0.006, I'd be pleased with that! Just boil for an extra 15-30 min, adjust your hop schedule for the extended boil (eg. just boil the wort without hops in it, then start your additions as planned.) and end up with less finished beer (eg. 4.5 gal instead of 5.0.)

Cheers.

I'm a newbie at all-grain. This is my third batch, the first being a huge mistake. I have done plenty of extract brewing.

Your efficiency will probably improve as you repeat and refine your process. In the meantime Hex' suggestions will work well.

Where are you getting your grain crushed? Many places will allow you adjust the crush, or will crush it twice. A finer crush will generally increase efficiency.

You can also simply add more grain to the recipe, or enter a lower efficiency into beersmith or other software and it will allow you to add grain to get the OG you desire for your given boil time.

I'd shoot for 70% or higher. I don't think it's that difficult to achieve. But if you think that the little bit extra it costs to run at 60% is no big deal, then just run at 60%. It won't hurt the flavor of your beer any.

Where are you getting your grain crushed? Many places will allow you adjust the crush, or will crush it twice. A finer crush will generally increase efficiency....

Depends on mash and lauter setup. Direct fire mash, and fly sparge lauter leaves only hull and germ behind, same with decoction. I do not think that my efficiency would improve one bit with a different grind.

Depends on mash and lauter setup. Direct fire mash, and fly sparge lauter leaves only hull and germ behind, same with decoction. I do not think that my efficiency would improve one bit with a different grind.

You'd be surprised. That said, you may just be asking for a stuck sparge if you get too crazy. 60-70% isn't that bad, hopefully it's a bit more consistent than that. As others have said, grain is cheap. Just adjust the base grain, don't worry about the special malts.

what about grinding with a rolling pin?

Focus on your crush, mash temps, mash size, pH (enzymatic activity), is your hydrometer calibrated correctly, sparge time, mash time... lots to go crazy over!! or up your grain #...

Check out the stickies. I Fly Sparge and tried the 'Hybrid Fly Sparge Technique'. I saw a nice bump after using it. I don't batch sparge but I would venture to guess that the sticky on batch spargin would help you increase as well.

Well I can think of one thing I haven't been doing: When i add my sparge water I haven't been stirring the grain bed. We'll see what happens next weekend.

Well I can think of one thing I haven't been doing: When i add my sparge water I haven't been stirring the grain bed. We'll see what happens next weekend.

if your batch sparging... which I do. def give a stir and wait about 10min or so for the bed to settle, vaurlof (spelling), and drain.

Yeah, stirring, big difference in technique, constant stirring a direct fire mash (high conversion of starch to sugar) vs. static infusion mash (questionable and uneven conversion of starch to sugar).

Yeah, stirring, big difference in technique, constant stirring a direct fire mash (high conversion of starch to sugar) vs. static infusion mash (questionable and uneven conversion of starch to sugar).

can you elaborate on how direct-firing a mash tun gives better efficiency?

Stirring of mash allows the enzymes to make contact with more of the grain.

There are many different definitions of efficiency in the brewing process.

Conversion efficiency of grain potential and Lauter efficiency should be considered separate animals.

Stirring of mash allows the enzymes to make contact with more of the grain.

There are many different definitions of efficiency in the brewing process.

Conversion efficiency of grain potential and Lauter efficiency should be considered separate animals.

wait, i thought direct-fire mash just meant you have a burner on your mash tun.

constantly stirring is something else, or am i confused?

Back