Just picked up this notebook PC for SWMBO for $299

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
At Best Buy right now. Pretty sweet deal.

eMachines Official Site - Notebook - eMD620-5777 Product Details

Specifications CPU: AMD Athlon™ 2650e Processor
64-bit processor with AMD HyperTransport™ 1.0 Technology
(1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB) Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic with SP12
Display: 14.1" WXGA high-brightness TFT LCD (1280×800) Chipset: AMD RS690MC Memory: 1024MB 800MHz DDR2 (1 × 1024MB)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 slots total, 1 DDR2 slot available Hard Drive: 160GB SATA II (5400rpm, 8MB cache)1 Optical Drives: 8X DVD SuperMulti double-layer drive
Write max: 24X CD-R, 16X CD-RW, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R DL (double-layer), 4X DVD+R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM
Read max: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 6X DVD-ROM DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD+R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-RW, 6X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM Video: ATI Radeon® X1200 Graphics
With up to 1919MB of HyperMemory™ supporting Shader Model 2.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Audio: High-definition audio support
Two built-in stereo speakers Communications: 802.11 b/g Ports/Other: 3 - USB 2.0
1 - External display (VGA)
1 - Headphone/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support
1 - Microphone-in jack
1 - AC Adapter Connector
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet Dimensions: 13.0" W x 9.8" D x 1.2/1.6" H Weight: 5.29 lbs (system unit only) Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion (2.2AHr) Warranty: 1-year parts and labor limited warranty3 Software:
  • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic with Service Pack 1
  • Productivity Software
    • Microsoft Works® 8.5 with Office Home and Student 2007 Trial4
    • Adobe® Reader
  • Digital Media Software
    • Corel® WinDVD
    • Launch Manager
    • NTI CD/DVD Maker™
  • eMachines® Comprehensive Security
    • Symantec Norton 360™ Version 2.05
  • Game Software
    • eMachines® GameZone6

$299 is a steal. Its not exactly a powerhouse, but for web surfing and email, you cant beat it. My wife has a 15" inspiron. Has a beautiful high res screen, but is heavy and hot. I think a netbook is next for her. I like my macbook. Its a little more expensive, but I just cant use windows any more :).

meeh. I had an eMachines laptop once, it had a buggy BIOS and the mfg never released a BIOS upgrade for it. It was pretty frustrating. I won't touch them after that.

That said if you just plan to run Windoze on it, it should work fine, Windoze will run on a garbage can if you plug it in with an AC adapter. :D

Yeah, but for SWMBO to surf the net and do some Word & Excel, it will be perfect for here. I have the recovery DVDs burned, the Vista toasted and XP is being loaded now.

Sounds like an excellent deal. I just bought an Acer with a 14.1 inch screen for $419 at Office Depot. It's amazing how much cheaper- and better- these things have gotten over just a few years.

Good call ditching Vista. My wife wanted to try it for the eye-candy (transparency, etc.). I warned her. She didn't listen. :D

It's actually a pretty sweet little machine for what she is going to use it for.

I have XP installed & updated, Office 2007 installed & updated, Firefox, Acrobat Reader, and AVG anti virus. She's good to go.

Now all I have to do is take a snapshot image of it with R-Drive Image to a USB hard drive and I can restore it to its pristine just installed version any time in a matter of minutes.

Good call. SWMBO hates Vista. And it gets rid of the crapware, too.

Yep, nothing but what she'll use. It's a pretty cool setup now. It's screams with firefox and office. Since she uses it as a desktop, I'm removing the battery so it is not ruined from being plugged in 100% of the time expect for the occasional vacation.

Back