Beer tap making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
100_4958.jpg
A brewfriend and I made a beer tap out of Cocobolo wood last weekend. We obviously did it on a lathe and it turned out so cool. Although its just a plain 12" brewtap its very eyecatching. I think it goes well with an Amber. I want to make some more and be able to use them to identify which beer I have on tap. Any suggestions on what wood to use with a style of beer?

pichers1.jpg

Light lager/blonde ale: Pine or white oak
IPA: Knotty pine (good luck with it on a lathe)
Irish red or fruit beer: Cherry
Mild/brown/Scottish ale: Walnut
Steam beer: Teak
Smooth, nitro stout: Mahogany
Imperial stout: Ebony
Spruce flavored: Sitka
Oak aged: Perhaps some oak?
Maple porter: Maple, of course!

Yo, Yuri!!! He gave you wood! Happy now?? :rockin:

All joking aside, the grain of the wood does look nice, but selecting a type of wood to correspond with a brew is...difficult to say the least.

You're best bet would be to come up with some kind of logo/sign/engraving in/on/or about the handle.

That's easy!

Black Walnut for Stout or similar
Cherry for anything red
Mahogany, or Oak/Maple with a tiny bit of mahogany stain for anything amber
Beech or Birch for anything light.

You will most likely only have one of each type on tap at a time, so just reach for the colour that corresponds to type of beer!

Oh, obviously Apple for Apfelwien!

I'd call that a tap handle... from the thread title I thought you were machining your own faucet or something :drunk:

PeteOz77 said:
That's easy!

Black Walnut for Stout or similar
Cherry for anything red
Mahogany, or Oak/Maple with a tiny bit of mahogany stain for anything amber
Beech or Birch for anything light.

You will most likely only have one of each type on tap at a time, so just reach for the colour that corresponds to type of beer!

Oh, obviously Apple for Apfelwien!
I guess it wood (pun) work for someone who knows their woods...;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I guess it wood (pun) work for someone who knows their woods...;)

I am glad you all have taken the time to admire my wood (beer tap)...I just wish SWMBO would take as much interest in it as the rest of you have. You would think that with it being 12" she would at least find it interesting...What?:D

Back