Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first sour beer. It has been sitting for about 2 years now. This started as a red ale that just didn't taste that great. I left it sitting and the airlock dried out and a white pelical started growing. I took the airlock off and covered with tinfoil and let it sit.

This is what is looks like now...does anyone know if it should be safe to drink?

IMG_20120927_160025.jpg

IMG_20120927_155953.jpg

IMG_20120927_155945.jpg

Also, do you carbonate with corn sugar as normal?

Thanks for the help!

cheers

Nick

KeyWestBrewing said:
Just careful with the morning glory seeds lol. I had a summer where I was interested in different states of consciousness and perception of reality in these different states of mind. To sum it up simpler, me and a few friends did a lot of researching and experimented the different effects of different hallucinogens.... Morning glory being one of them. Morning glory seeds contain LSA, a chemical very similar to LSD, and have been used as far back in time as the ancient Mayans(they called it tlitlitzin) for their psychoactive properties. Depending on potency of the seeds as little as 25 seeds can be a dose with effects lasting 6-10 hours. Check out Erowid.org for more info as there are also health risks of ingesting morning glory seeds. Especially for those taking certain types of anti depressant medications.
:off:
I've got about 20 sacred datura plants around the yard if ya wanna harvest the spiky pods.. I believe every part of that plant can make you trip balls even getting scratched.. no wonder all the hornets could care less about anyone around in my yard especially my girls ;)

My scientific curiosity is overcoming my common sense...

According to wikipedia it will ferment sugars to acid and gas, it didn't state what kind of acid or gas, but it doesn't really matter because neither of those things is alcohol.

How does it smell? It looks safe enough to at least try a sip to see how it is.

It actually smells GREAT which is why I'm excited about it, I just didn't want to die hahaha

I think I will just put it in some bottles and see what happens.

Do you know if you prime with corn sugar for this type of brew?

Personally I prime with regular old table sugar. Corn sugar is a rip off. You'll want to re-yeast though after aging that long

Good call on the re-yeasting, do you think US-05 would be fine? that is all i have on hand at the moment.....I could try and source some champagne yeast.

edmanster said:
I've got about 20 sacred datura plants around the yard if ya wanna harvest the spiky pods.. I believe every part of that plant can make you trip balls even getting scratched.. no wonder all the hornets could care less about anyone around in my yard especially my girls ;)
Huh.. I had one of those spring out of the driveway one year, right out of the rocks. It looked really cool.

I remember one time (read "several) I got roped into messing with the Salvia Divinorum. What a profoundly bad feeling that was lol
dcHokie said:
I gotta go on record that I hope no amount of scientific curiosity leads anyone here to make poop beer.

Remember, nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. So, wanna arrange a sours swap in a few months? ;)

edmanster said:

Having done my fair share of research into everything before I tried it.... That one was out of my league. Atropine is nothing to mess with. I had a friend that tried it and hung out by himself the whole time thinking his friends were there, he also mentioned he contemplated being able to swing down a spiral staircase. But Angels Trumpet flowers are cool.

they were in the yard when i bought this house 13 yrs ago and did sum finding out what they were.. the wife wanted them gone but they are hard to kill.. every crack in the drive has them coming up.. i gave up and so far pose no threat. they are beautiful. personally i like them! :mug:

My lord, do I love the way lacto pellicles look! I am going to have to make myself a nice Berliner here pretty soon to see if I can't post something on here. All of my sours are in the dark corner where my lousy camera phone can't seem to understand what a picture is supposed to look like.

image-2503729493.jpg

Pitched WLP570 with dregs from a Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza and Timmermans Oude Gueuze. Brewed on August 26th, transferred to carboy about a week ago and the pellicle formed a couple days later. Tasted quite sour when I transferred it.

Right now this is our pride and joy. Racked 1 gallon off to age on oak chips for blending in a gueze. This is almost a year old and sitting on a lot of peaches. A lot. Both yellow and white peaches. We used Wyeast strain and I added dregs from Tilquin Geuze, Fantome, Goose Island, 100% Brett C homebrew and from Bayrischer bahnhof brettanomyces lambicus Berliner (mouthful). I know it isn't the most clear due to the better bottle...but you can definitely notice a big funky pellicle growing over the peaches. Can't wait for this to be done.

2012-10-25 11.31.40.jpg

edmanster said:
I did a all brettanomyces b cider with wyeast 5112 and it said it could possibly form a pellicle.. I can only speculate one will form here.. :)

Please keep us up to date on how this turns out! I keep a batch of Apfelwein going at all times and I never thought about a Brett cider

edmanster said:
I did a all brettanomyces b cider with wyeast 5112 and it said it could possibly form a pellicle.. I can only speculate one will form here.. :)

Very curious about this - subscribed for future updates.

Indeed.. BTW this is raw cider that added sulfite so I could control the primary yeast fermentation but that doesn't include the bacteria if any is present!!! Campden tabs won't kill most bacteria..

Whiling away the storm with beery things, I snapped a couple of pics of recently changed pellicles:

2012-10-13-102756-57088.jpg

2012-10-13-102915-57089.jpg

2 pics of a bretted english brown

2012-10-26-152454-57090.jpg

2012-10-27-234419-57091.jpg

above, decided to dose a keg of an unremarkable cream ale with roselare and some sour dregs, I flushed with CO2 but this pellicle popped up real quick and started changing fast

Spontaneously fermented with wild yeast for a month, then pitched a starter made from JP Calabaza and a Flanders Brown dregs. This has been aging for 6 months.

The dregs from the Brown obviously had all sorts of different bugs in it. What sort of infection does it look like I have at this point?

image-1354725153.jpg

image-27275727.jpg

barrooze said:
Spontaneously fermented with wild yeast for a month, then pitched a starter made from JP Calabaza and a Flanders Brown dregs. This has been aging for 6 months.

The dregs from the Brown obviously had all sorts of different bugs in it. What sort of infection does it look like I have at this point?

Dude that is a crazy looking pelicle. It looks like spaghetti.

Looks like brett

Back