wyeast smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simple answer is yes, you could. Maybe not the best practice, but if you smacked a pack and for some reason were not going to be able to pitch it within a few days, you could put it back in the fridge for a while.

yes i have already smaked the pack and something came up.How long could i leave it out at room temp or is it safe to put back in the frig?

If you are going to brew within the next day or two, keep it out. Otherwise throw it back in the fridge.

you should be fine, put it in the fridge until your ready use it.

When you ready to use it pull it out of the fridge a couple of hours before pitching.

tim

How long until you will brew. I've seen recommendations of letting the smack pack swell for 2+ days. I would say 3 or even 4 days would not be a problem unless you have high temperatures.

you can but theoretically it makes no difference.

When the yeast warms back up to room temp they will re-activate and start fermenting all over again.

tim

Except you can pitch the swelled pack cold, and cold pitches arguably result in faster and stronger fermentations.

you can but theoretically it makes no difference.

When the yeast warms back up to room temp they will re-activate and start fermenting all over again.

tim

Theoretically and experimentally it makes a huge difference. The state of the yeast when harvested or stored is crucial. You always harvest yeast during log growth phase. Micro 101.

Why not make use of this extra time and make a starter?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

Ah that explains why it didn't swell, I needed to put it outside and not back in the fridge. I thought I didn't smack it hard it enough.

It turned out okay though b/c something came up and I couldn't brew so just am going to leave it in there until tomorrow or Saturday.

Are airlocks required for yeast starters. I have a flask but it came with foam stoppers. Can I pitch yeast into the flask w/DME and just plug the foam stopper on?

Ah that explains why it didn't swell, I needed to put it outside and not back in the fridge. I thought I didn't smack it hard it enough.

It turned out okay though b/c something came up and I couldn't brew so just am going to leave it in there until tomorrow or Saturday.

Are airlocks required for yeast starters. I have a flask but it came with foam stoppers. Can I pitch yeast into the flask w/DME and just plug the foam stopper on?

You mean a solid stopper with no hole in it? Definitely not. Just use some sanitized aluminum foil to cover the flask. You just want to keep dust out at this point, but let oxygen in. Using a solid stopper would be a very bad idea becasue fermentation gives off CO2 gas. This will build up pressure until either the stopper pops out like a champange cork or the flask explodes (whicheve comes first).

You mean a solid stopper with no hole in it? Definitely not. Just use some sanitized aluminum foil to cover the flask. You just want to keep dust out at this point, but let oxygen in. Using a solid stopper would be a very bad idea becasue fermentation gives off CO2 gas. This will build up pressure until either the stopper pops out like a champange cork or the flask explodes (whicheve comes first).

It is a foam breathable stopper. There is no hole. Its something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/foam-stopper-46-60mm.html

They were cheap if something else would work better. I don't need flasks exploding.

How long until you will brew. I've seen recommendations of letting the smack pack swell for 2+ days. I would say 3 or even 4 days would not be a problem unless you have high temperatures.

Right now after about 48 hours of pitching I don't see much for fermenting action. There are alot of little bubbles in the airlock and the airlock is up, but no consistent bubbling. If the same tomorrow night I may toss my dry yeast package in the wort.

I smacked it on Thursday but ended up being in the fridge through Sunday due to plans.

Back