Substitute for Pacman yeast for Dead Guy clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up a batch of a clone recipe of Dead Guy Ale this weekend. I don't have any Pacman (Wyeast 1764) yeast and wanted to get some advice for a substitute. I have some S-04, S-05, and Nottingham (older lot#) dry yeast. Can someone give me some advice on which yeast would get me closest to the real thing or suggest something else to use?

US-05 is the best bet. I've also made it 3 times with Pacman, and honestly can't tell the difference in taste so I've gone back to using US-05 every time I make it.

Yooper's clone recipe is pretty spot-on, if that's the one you're using I think you'll be pleased.

I've done it with 05, 04, bottle harvested pacman and even saflager, and honestly the best yooper's dead guy I have ever made and the one that doing head to head tests with some friends who were DG fans, was with Wyeast 1338 European Ale
From Wissenschaftliche in Munich. Full-bodied complex strain finishing very malty. Produces a dense, rocky head during fermentation.

All the other version were fine, but that version was the most complex and tastier of them all. In fact in the taste tests I did with people, they chose my version with that over the actual DG. In fact people were quite shocked.

I think since the 1338 finishes malty and full body it really makes the caramel and other malts shine through in the recipe.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

But of your list and the yeasts I've used of them it would have to be 05.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I called up the LHBS and found out that had some Wyeast 1338 so I'm gonna give that a try (thanks Revvy). The Wyeast website says 1338 should ferment 62-72. I have good temp control on my ferment now so I think I'll shoot for 64-65.

My house yeast for hoppy beers is now Wyeast London Ale 1028. The 1338 Revvy recommended is a similar yeast in terms of its performance and flavor profile.

I find that the fruity esters** and malt accentuation of English or European ale yeast strains actually lead to a more enjoyable hoppy beer, whereas US-05 or similar strains will create a one-note beer where only the hops come through.

... of course if you want a Pliny-like beer where it's like brushing your teeth with hops you should pick the US-05. :D

** note I ferment around 65*F to keep the ester levels in check. Above that it would be too estery and would conflict with the American hops.

It may be a few days before I will have a stir plate ready, or be able to cultivate pacman. Let me know if any of these other options that are on hand could work. I am more than an hour drive to the local lhbs, so sometimes, I have to make sacrifices.

Nottingham

German Lager

Irish Ale

Trappist High Gravity?

I noticed several of you recommend US05 as a substitute for pacman yeast in Yooper's Dead Guy ale recipe. Wouldn't US04 bring out the malty flavors so much better in this style?

What's the implications of choosing US04 in this case?

IbrewBeer this thread is a bit old and dead.............but 04 would bring out some of the malty flavors and would be acceptable to ferment with. If kept at 60-62 degrees it is very clean.

I noticed several of you recommend US05 as a substitute for pacman yeast in Yooper's Dead Guy ale recipe. Wouldn't US04 bring out the malty flavors so much better in this style?

What's the implications of choosing US04 in this case?

04 is way too tart and bready IMO. Pacman is an extremely clean yeast.

Latest posts

Back