The Hull Brewing Co., New Haven, CT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3lackEyedAngels

Reaction score
I heard a few weeks ago that New Haven had a brewery which closed in 1977 know as The Hull Brewing Company. I thought that was pretty cool since I am from West Haven, but I am sad that it doesn't exist anymore. I am wondering if anyone has any records of the company; hopefully some that would descibe the beer it made. It would be really cool to try and ressurect Hull's in a homebrew.

olllllo said:
Know nothing about them but looked them up on ebay.

Hull on Ebay

Looks like thay had some cool labels.

Sorry for the off topic, but man I couldn't help but say "GENIUS" when I saw the text under your user name over there on the left....As the Guinness guys would say, that is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Dude said:
Sorry for the off topic, but man I couldn't help but say "GENIUS" when I saw the text under your user name over there on the left....As the Guinness guys would say, that is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!
I saw it a few days ago, but is just NOW clicked for me what I was looking at.

Clever.

-walker

Hey,
Never heard of Hull brewery before, but (and maybe this is obvious) have you heard of New England brewery in Woodbridge. They've been making the Elm City lager for a while now, but I only really started paying attention to them this spring when I discovered their Sea Hag IPA, which is really a wonderful beer to be coming out of the New Haven area.

Check them out,
newenglandbrewing.com

I heard a few weeks ago that New Haven had a brewery which closed in 1977 know as The Hull Brewing Company. I thought that was pretty cool since I am from West Haven, but I am sad that it doesn't exist anymore. I am wondering if anyone has any records of the company; hopefully some that would descibe the beer it made. It would be really cool to try and ressurect Hull's in a homebrew.

Well, if you resurrect Hull's, please go way up-quality. I used to drink Hull's when in college (read: broke) back in the 1960s and that was all we could afford. It was bad beer but we as students didn't mind once we gagged down the first three..... :mug:

-Skip

Hull's Export Beer was probably the best beer ever. It was rolled off the loading docks and into bars all over southern New England every day. You couldn't get fresher beer any day of the week than Hull's on tap. Unfortunately, the young jock market was swept away by the dazzle of the 70's TV commercials put out by Michelob, Coors, Heineken, Lowenbrau, Budweiser and others. Hull's simply could no longer compete and essentially became "the old man's beer" in it's waning years. The imposing brick building on Congress Avenue in New Haven has long been demolished. Though a German brewery, many an Irish immigrant worked in the brewery and on the hunter green and gold-lettered trucks that wended their way throughout the state. At one time, Hull's was also the distributor of Guiness Stout.[/SIZE]

Back