Lambic beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I understand brewing Lambic beers requires different set of equipment and have always wondered if the store bought bottles of Lambic beers could be reused with other types of beer. I would assume no without contamination but haven't gotten around to asking my quesiton.

In my opinion I wouldn't bottle regular beer in lambic bottles because it is too big a task. The bottles are designed to hold lots of pressure, so they require corks and wire hoods or use special Euro bottle caps. It's easier and cheaper to use regular beer bottles.
I just have to let you know that lambic is almost never bottled, they drink it on draft in Belgium and very rarely export it. We buy is called gueuze, which is a blend of several lambics at different stages of maturity. The biggest difference is that gueuze is highly carbonated (hence the sturdy bottles) and lambic is "flat".

Lambic can be anything from a Kriek to Unblended. And yes you can use most of the bottles that you can find over here if they are capped some how or you have a champagne corker. You can use glass on anything because it cleans so well.

I would be a little careful with your choice of glass. I followed a lambic recipe which called for re-pitching at bottling. I bottled in mostly champagne bottles and few beer bottles for the rest when i ran out of champ bottles. I waited until I had a consistant FG (3 days or so) and bottled. Two of the regular beer bottles blew. None of the champagne had a problem. Maybe unsound bottles that blew or maybe just too much pressure for regular bottles. Consider it.

I had the same idea with my Lindeman's bottles. But they don't take a standard sized bottle cap. They need something quite a bit larger.

I'm glad you posted WormBoy. I was planning to bottle all of mine in beer bottles. I guess I'll have to go buy a set of 1/2 sized champ. bottles and corks.

Back