Hops sprouting too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Hey All,

Planted some hops in pots this year for the first time. They grew to about 10ish feet and didn't produce this year which I know isn't that unusual. I clipped the vines a couple months ago and just let them be.

I live in Oakland, CA by the way, and it's been pretty rainy the past couple of weeks and somewhat cold (for here).

I was brewing today and went over to take a look and it appears that my Columbus pot has 3 bines coming out. They are just poking out of the surface of the soil but this is way too soon, no?

Thoughts/advice? Should I let them grow or clip the bines? Thanks

What Dan said. But if they're not actually growing and just look like these, you're fine. The plants form some big buds on the upper portion of the crown in the Fall which will be the first to shoot up next Spring. If that's the case, just throw a little compost on them and wait a couple months.

Fall Buds 1.jpg

Fall Buds.jpg

ah ok, thanks for the pics. They do look like that. I was also recommended to move my pots out of the sun as they are probably warming during the day and the plant might think it's april vs december. I will move once I want to throw my back out :)

Back