Austin Homebrew Red Ale Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpeed

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the AHS American Red Ale or AHS Irish Red Ale ? I'm tossed between the AHS or Midwest kits.

I haven't brewed these specific kits but I have brewed kits from both places in the past and both supply a great product. That said AHS does have the flat rate shipping and more available options on the kit page going for it, if you are looking for options :)

I brewed the Irish Red Ale in December and drinking it now. It is very good. It was my first extract and specialty grains recipe. The color isn't as red as I thought it would be, but it does have a dark red hue. Some whom I have given it too thought it was a bit hoppy, but I don't think so myself. And I am not a huge hop fan, so I would probably notice. I think it a very nice brew and worth it. The head also seems to last the whole time I am drinking it!

Mk010101 said:
The color isn't as red as I thought it would be, but it does have a dark red hue.
At AHS there doesn't seem to be a mention of roasted barley in the recipe. Some people recommend 1 oz. of roasted barley to get a nice red color. I probably should focus more on the flavor than color anyways.

I brewed the Irish Red last year, and have a few bottles left. I think it is very good. Someone told me it tastes a lot like Killian's. Although it is not red red it is redder than a brown ale for sure. I recommend AHS their kits are well priced and ship fairly fast.

Back