OatMeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well for St Pat's day coming up here in March. I decied that I follow my Irish heratige and brew up a Stout. Here's the recipe that I'm brewing:

Ingredients:
6.5 lbs light malt Extract
1.5 lbs American 2-row malt
1 lb. flaked oats
1/2 lb. wheat malt
3/4 lb. roasted barley
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
3/4 lb. crystal malt
1 ounce Northern Brewer hops
Wyeast #1084 Irish ale yeast

Procedure:
"Steep-Mash" process: Steep grains in grain bag in 4-5 gallons water, for 45 minutes at 158-159F. Remove grain bag and rinse grains with water at same temperature, until about 5.5-6.0 gallons in brewpot. Add malt extract. Bring to boil, add hops and boil for 60 minutes. Cool, pitch yeast. 1 week in primary, re-rack to secondary for 1 more week. Bottle/Keg and enjoy!

But i'm going to be keeping it in the secondary for 2 weeks.

Right now she's boiling away. And has a sweet tea smell to it!!! Can't wai for St Pat's Day!!! :drunk: <----- me drunk!!!

Awesome recipe. When you get around to that Irish Red, use basically the same procedure for the steep-mash. We did a protein rest at 120F for 15 mins, but I don't know if that was necessary or even did anything to it. Couldn't hurt though, I guess.

Just rack'd to a secondary today.

Tasted a sample and ohhhh boy is it good. Has a chocolate under tone. And just had a rich taste. Still was bubbling but one week in primary and 2 in secondary.

So now i must wait.

Happy brewing guys!!!

its funny how great brew minds think alike, I would have formulated a very similar recipe for oatmeal stout

Curious...what does steeping a non-crystal malt like 2-row add to the brew? Starch, thus mouthfeel? Something else?

Thor said:
Curious...what does steeping a non-crystal malt like 2-row add to the brew? Starch, thus mouthfeel? Something else?

Enzimes, I think. To conver other grains (non crystal, but with no diastatic power).
someone may call this steep a half a$$ed mash, but it is still better than just steeping and geting starch haze or raw flavor from unconverted starch.

Back