Infection/mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsh22

Reaction score
Well, turns out my cider got infected, too much headspace i think, plus no sani in the airlock.
Here are some pictures of it:
2HVevsq.jpg

I am guessing at least a few of you has had this happen, what did you do, did it work out?
I am hoping I can just rack from underneath it...

Yea that's a lot of headspace. Was this a secondary? I agree with medic, give it a taste then rack it carefully from beneath if it tastes ok.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Tasted it, tasted..... flat. Very little to no alcohol or acidity.... very very confused at the moment. I did a bit of research and it appears to be a film yeast... not sure if i should rack and try to bottle or if I should toss it...

was around 1.010
never checked OG or the gravity of it after the primary...

At 1.010 you are probably sitting tween 6 to 7 ABV if I had to guess. Not knowing what sugars you added and such. If it tasted okay...which it sounds like it does..I would rack it...bottle...back sweeten and bottle (if that is what you are going to do)..then pasteurize when its ready. Let us know how it comes out...

I have an inch air gap before the neck if my demijohn starts, is that too much??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back