True bourbon barrel aged imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that ok to do if your bottles will be sitting for a long period of tim?. My bottles will be conditioning for 1-3 years. What's different about this process and just filing a growler from tap, I thought growlers were only good for a few weeks at most.

strongarm said:
Is that ok to do if your bottles will be sitting for a long period of tim?. My bottles will be conditioning for 1-3 years. What's different about this process and just filing a growler from tap, I thought growlers were only good for a few weeks at most.

Still drinking bottles and they were bottled out of the tap about 6 mo ago. Carbonation is just fine. I think the difference between bottles and growlers are the screw on lids. They aren't as airtight at bottle caps and they get oxidized over time.

Update: I entered this stout into a local homebrew completion "the Bruery" if you've heard of them. I won first place in the wood aged category scoring 39/50. Pretty happy about that. Just did my version 2 batch for next year which im even more excited about since it's an all grain recipe. I've cut down on the chocolate nibbs since it was mentioned that it's overpowering and upped the vanilla beans and star anise. I also plan on keeping in the barrel for 20% longer to get more of the oak flavor into the beer. For some better head retention im adding in flaked oats and rye.

Here you go. I did cold steep all the dark grains except for the Special B for 24 hours then added to the end of the boil. Aged in bourbon barrel for around 6 weeks.

I just transferred this to my keg to force carb then I will bottle fill from there. Loving the initial taste test. Very unique smooth tasting imperial stout.

The only thing I would have changed is mashed a little lower 145/146 to increase ferment ability.

Make a huge starter....6L, use a lot of oxygen. After the initial yeast 007 dies out around 1.055 pitch a nice sized starter of 099 super high gravity yeast.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.166 SG
Estimated Color: 58.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 89.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
29 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
1 lbs Simpsons British Chocolate (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.6 %
8.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.3 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8 6.5 %
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 9 1.3 %
3.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 52.2 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 14.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 20.1 IBUs
4.00 Items Anise, Star (Boil 30.0 mins) Spice 13 -
2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 2.9 IBUs
15.00 Items Vanilla Bean Secondary 4 weeks Spice 15 -
3.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 16 -
6.00 oz Cocoa Nibs Secondary 4 weeks Flavor 17 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 38 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 44.38 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with -1.13 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
Cold steep dark grains for 24 hours to lower acidity/astringency. Do add the special B to the mash to help lower PH. Crush grains with .037gap

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some more taste testing of my new batch I would recommend bringing the cacao nibs down to 4 oz....the chocolate is a little dominating still. Also I will start aging for closer to 8-10 weeks in the barrel to pick up more of the oak. Maybe some more oats for a better head retention and longer on the C02 for more carbonation...I think some of the carbonation might have been lost transferring to bottles from the keg.

After some more taste testing of my new batch I would recommend bringing the cacao nibs down to 4 oz....the chocolate is a little dominating still. Also I will start aging for closer to 8-10 weeks in the barrel to pick up more of the oak. Maybe some more oats for a better head retention and longer on the C02 for more carbonation...I think some of the carbonation might have been lost transferring to bottles from the keg.

How many vanilla beans did you use?

I am also planning a big stout with coffee/bourbon oak/choco/ and vanilla beans. I plan on using 4 in secondary, but would like your opinion!

I used 15 beans. I know it's a lot. I didn't pick up too much vanilla but then again the cocoa might have been overpowering it.

How many times can you use a bourbon barrel to age beer? When you get it from the distillery, do you have to sanitize the inside before filling with the beer? Our local distillery has used 8 gallon barrels for sale, but they are $200. I don't want to buy one if I'll only get to use it for a couple batches.

ShakaZuluXI said:
How many times can you use a bourbon barrel to age beer? When you get it from the distillery, do you have to sanitize the inside before filling with the beer? Our local distillery has used 8 gallon barrels for sale, but they are $200. I don't want to buy one if I'll only get to use it for a couple batches.

Depends on what you are using it for. The whiskey/spirit will fade, but the barrel is good for a long time. Jean van Roy at Cantillon told me they use some for over 15 years and they still produce good brews.

Our club bought a full size bourbon barrel. We have put two beers in it so far and we are getting ready for a third. The second beer, an RIS, still had a ton of bourbon aroma and flavor. Our next beer will be a wee heavy.

Depends on what you are using it for. The whiskey/spirit will fade, but the barrel is good for a long time. Jean van Roy at Cantillon told me they use some for over 15 years and they still produce good brews.

Keep in mind that Cantillon does not use these barrels for their flavor. After a few uses the barrel will have no wood or spirit character.

inflictor-of-grimness said:
Keep in mind that Cantillon does not use these barrels for their flavor. After a few uses the barrel will have no wood or spirit character.

Of course, but the question was how many times a barrel could be used....

I did not sanitize my barrel prior to filling. It came freshly dumped and "looked good" inside. Just soaked the outside of the barrel on all sides a few times to make sure it was swelled up and filled. If your not worried about it leaking then I would just fill as is...you will get more of the spirit that way. I use mine 3 times before getting a new one 5g size from Balcones.

Back