24hr delay to pitch yeast .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
I have no problem letting my wort cool all natural and pitch the yeast 24hrs later , My method is put hot wort in bucket put on lid close off whole,bam sterile . lets hammer this out I know everyone is going to pile on .

Pile on? As in I do it also...except I just put the lid on the kettle and when cool I pitch yeast in the kettle and ferment...no issues in many batches.

That sounds interesting. Less work too. I might give it a try. But what if you use glass carboy(which I do). Little risky to pour hot wort in glass.

That sounds interesting. Less work too. I might give it a try. But what if you use glass carboy(which I do). Little risky to pour hot wort in glass.

I do this. Works fine. I even (stupidly) dropped the carboy once and it still didn't break. Just siphon into the carboy after the boil, and plug up the top. I use a #7 stopper and a marker that fits in the hole.

The next day there will be a vacuum, i've had wort shoot out. So be easy removing the plug....

there will be a vacuum is true at my first attempt I put my blow offs in the sanitized bucket and as the wort cooled the water ran up into the wort but I was watching being it was my first time cooling with out a chiller and I caught it rite away . Another thing I practice using the no chiller method is make suer I re_oxygenate the wort relly good .

I think that probably works great if all you brew is ales and you aren't concerned by the loss of volatile hop oils. Everything I have read suggests that the faster you can cool your wort the more hop oils (aroma) you will have. I guess maybe the oils would be trapped in the carboy and be reabsorbed as it cools? I know with lagers the faster you can cool the better cold break you will get which results in a cleaner beer. The other drawback I see is that it probably only works well with 5 gallons batches. I can't imagine doing this with larger batches. It would take forever to cool to pitching temps.

Back