Double/Imperial IPA suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
I just brewed my first double IPA by Ninkasi Brewing CO (Tricerahops). Im all about the hops but I can appreciate all styles of beer. Any recommendations for other strong IPAs?

Avery Maharaja
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Green Flash IPA

Those recipes are all in the CYBI database and should be in the recipes section here! I've done the GF and will brew the Avery in March.

+1 to drifter pale ale

Tried that last week and I am definitely going to add it to the regular rotation, very nice aroma and taste that you don't always see in a pale ale

I love the Maharaja! Avery is down the street from me, literally! It is a great tap room and hang out spot on the east side of boulder. I will eventually brew the maharaja but it is available all year round these days. It used to be available only a few months out of the year. Ever tried the Dugana by Avery? Its fantastic! Its slightly more subtle than Maharaja but very good. Im looking for something that is not in the Boulder/Denver area. I am thinking about NB Dead Ringer, the two hearted ale clone. I keep hearing how good it is. Green Flash would be good to do as well........so many choices. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I love the Maharaja! Avery is down the street from me, literally! /QUOTE]
Color me jealous!!! My wife & I are supposed to come to Denver in August to climb Long's Peak... I'm hoping we can celebrate by visiting some of the ridiculously good breweries afterwards!

I'm looking for something that is not in the Boulder/Denver area.

I forgot about Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA. Love that stuff! In fact, my wife almost prefers it to Dogfish 90, which is one of her go-to beers.

Ill put that one on my list for sure. If you make it to Denver, go to the falling rock. Its not a brewery but they have the largest tap selection probably in the state. A good way to sample a lot of fresh Colorado beers.

McGlothan said:
Ill put that one on my list for sure. If you make it to Denver, go to the falling rock. Its not a brewery but they have the largest tap selection probably in the state. A good way to sample a lot of fresh Colorado beers.

That's a beautiful thing! Thanks for the inside info, sir!

Definitely go for the Maharaja....I tried it for the first time a week ago. Nearly fell off my chair it was so amazing. There is so much going on with this beer....it is just incredible. I know it's kinda *****y to say that it is balanced....but man....the thing is BALANCED. A perfect malt backbone with a nice but smooth (not harsh) simcoe amarillo punch in the face. If I could live off nothing but beer, this would be the one.

Back