WLP650...My Saison...and secondary firmentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, i've got a saison going. ...and midway through fermentation I kind of went "i've been really big into sour beers lately...can I sour a saison and how will it taste"

Well, WLP650 has some comments about it being used to sour a saison, so I decided to pick up a vial and give it a shot. But, I realized, I have no clue how long to let it sit in secondary

I know Brett can take a bit longer...so I was thinking 10-12 weeks. Is that long enough?

10-12 weeks is enough to get some brett character. If you're kegging don;t wory about hitting terminal gravity, but if you're bottling, make sure you're at TG before you do!

Damn that is a lot of homebrew that you got going on over there! Looks like a ton of Belgians too...good stuff

Is there usually a rule of thumb about adding brett to a belgian? Not all belgians get that sour brett tang...so, when do, and when NOT to add brett? Any good advice let me know. I'm really starting to enjoy some of that sourness to my beers

Yeah all I do is Belgians, they are my absolute favorite, really don't want to have 5 gallons to drink of anything else!

You mention sourness and tartness. Brett does make some sourness but the main thing it adds is a "barnyard", musty, type flavor. You'll hear "sweaty horse blanket" used a lot of describe its flavors. When you say sourness, you may be thinking of Lactobacillus, which produces lactic acid, and the classic sour character in sour beers.

Is it barnyard or the acidity you are after?

Hhmmmm I actually think that musty would be a really good characteristic for a Saison. So, I think I'm going to stick with it.

However, going forward, I'm going to keep it in mind so that when I want to sour a beer I'll make sure I use something with lacto in it.

white labs brux is very very funky, your beer will have a ton of horse blanket and some beers Ive tried are a tad fecal

If you can I would suggest using WY brux, its more subtle funk with hints of fruit

Back