Step Bit Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
Installing the final sight glass on one of my kegs and I have been going at the hole on top for a long time and barely put a dent in the thing! Its near the top skirt of the keg so i know the metal is thick, but i have done it once before...either my Step Bit has drilled its last hole, Or i need to get a better Bit!

Anyone have Better luck with anything else?

I like hole saws. The cutting edges stay sharper longer. Step bits tend to dull quickly for me but, the trick is slow cutting, keep it oiled, and put your weight into it.

If the steel gets red hot you are doing it wrong.

No I apply all my weight while doing it slowly but still no luck...I don't need a hole that big since all I'm putting through it is a screw to hold the sight glass in place! Looks like I will be making a trip to lowes soon...

Did you make a pilot hole? The step bit isn't designed to create a hole, just make one bigger. I recommend using a center punch as well....it'll keep things from travelling. Don't forget to use Pam or some other kind of lubricant. It'll make the bit last way longer.

I would just use a regular bit if you only need to make a small hole for a screw.

I ended up buying a bit and it took 30 seconds to make the hole! From now on I'll make the initial hole with the bit Then switch to the uni thanks guys...I have never had trouble before but for some reason the top skirt wouldn't give in...

Back