IPA discussion and recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECOdork

Reaction score
Imperial IPA vs. American IPA. Differences?

What about IPA's with oak? Are they in a different class?

I just tried a darn tasty Dogfish Barton Burton and it got me thinking.

ECOdork, gotta ask. You don't happen to work for a company that the name starts with ECO do you? (meaning I do...)

I sat there for a minute trying to figure out which beer company starts with "ECO" :D

I sure don't, I'm just an ECOlogist.

desertBrew said:
ECOdork, gotta ask. You don't happen to work for a company that the name starts with ECO do you? (meaning I do...)

Imperial IPA is a stronger version of IPA. It is basically taking the balance of an IPA and applying it to a beer that is 20% stronger. More malt creates more alcohol which needs more hops to balance it out.

Oaked IPA is simply an IPA that has been aged in oak or had oak soaked in it. A good way to do this is with an oak tea, which is what Stone does for their oaked ales.

There are lots of threads on each of these.

Yeah there were almost too many threads on it. But thanks for the info, I'll do some sleuthing on HBT now that I'm bit more informed.

...though I guess I'm a little confused about people adding oak to the mix? Doesn't "fit" the IPA archetype but tastes good?

Maybe I'm just itchy to try something that requires dryhopping with wood chips....

Back