Sam Adams Brewer Patriot Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I'm p!ssed at all of you guys for not telling me that this collection sucked. The only one that was decent was the Honey Ginger Ale. It was kind of interesting.

The dark wheat was slightly smoky but mainly blah.

The porter was way too sweet.

The Root Beer Brew was just nasty.

Plus I paid 12 dang dollars for it.

I just experienced it myself also. I very rarely find a beer that I won't drink, but I could not finish the Honey Ginger, or the Root Beer Brew. It deeply sadened me to pour about half of them out, but it also made me feel better about my beers! We've really come a long way in brewing since these recipes were created. ;)

Damn..I thought the Ginger Ale and the Porter were great. Not typically my cups of tea, but well done beers.

When I was drinking the porter I imagined I had on a white wig and I was getting ready to sign the Declaration of Independence.

I haven't tried the other 2 yet.

Prolly not worth the money but interesting, IMHO.

Dude said:
Damn..I thought the Ginger Ale and the Porter were great. Not typically my cups of tea, but well done beers.

When I was drinking the porter I imagined I had on a white wig and I was getting ready to sign the Declaration of Independence.

I haven't tried the other 2 yet.

Prolly not worth the money but interesting, IMHO.

I might not have been fair to it and the wheat because the root beer left such a bad taste in my mouth. Figuratively and literally!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I might not have been fair to it and the wheat because the root beer left such a bad taste in my mouth. Figuratively and literally!

I'll keep that in mind.

*makes mental note--drink the dark wheat ale before the root beer*

I had these myself and I LOVED them all! I especially liked the root beer. Keep in mind, these were brewed according to genuine colonial American recipes. With that in mind, you shouldn't expect something "typical". I applaud Boston Brewing for being bold enough to put brews like this out there. It all boils down to, "To each his own".

erbiumyag said:
I had these myself and I LOVED them all! I especially liked the root beer. Keep in mind, these were brewed according to genuine colonial American recipes. With that in mind, you shouldn't expect something "typical". I applaud Boston Brewing for being bold enough to put brews like this out there. It all boils down to, "To each his own".
Oh, I thought it was a cool idea. I'm not dissing that, though it was still a marketing scheme. I'm just saying, didn't make me want to purchase another four.

Now I'm curious enough to want to try a box, despite the mixed reviews. Or because of them, maybe. Anything that can elicit such polar responses from different people has got to be interesting.

I know I might be unpopular for saying this, but I never thought Sam Adams was as great as some like to think. I thought Sam's was okay before the good micros started being more accessable, to be sure and their Cream Stout made me want to make one (mine's much better BTW), but I haven't ordered or bought one since I can remember. It just tastes mass produced to me, just more like the AB "specialty" lines they make like "Amber Bock".:(

I do like the idea of this new "set" of beers...I may have to try a 'box'?
:drunk:

Maybe I'll try this new incarnation or marketing ploy...

:cross:

...marketing ploy, yes; but what commercially available brew doesn't have a marketing ploy behind it? You're not going to stay in business too long without a marketing strategy. In regards to these particular beers, I highly doubt Boston Brewing made a bundle off of them; but it serves to demonstrate that they are definitely the most innovative of all the MASS brewers (I think it's safe to say they've gone beyond micro brew status). I don't think Boston Brewing's beers trump every other beer; but I always give Jim Koch credit for leaving a successful career to pursue something he loved and consequently awaken many folks up to what good beer is, as opposed to the swill they had been used to since post prohibition. The reality is, even what I personally refer to as "swill", is something others seriously love. Case in point, this past weekend I went to a tailgate. When I pulled out a case of Guiness, one of the guys looked at me like I brought a box of rat poison. "I'm a Miller Lite guy myself", is what he told me. I drank my Guiness. He drank his Miller Lite. In the end, we all had a great time. So in some ways, maybe its almost pointless to proclaim this beer a "great" beer and this beer is "trash". Like I said earlier, "To each his own."

I definitely appreciate what he has done for the microbrew industry!

I've always found it pointless to add in my opinion or something to a statement that is obviously subjective. If I say that Bud Lite sucks, that's obviously my opinioin.

Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

The only one I didn't like was the Ginger beer...otherwise I liked them!!

Sam Adams Lager is OK...but his other beers like his brown ale, cream stout and the seasonals are pretty good!

I rather enjoyed this series; especially the ginger honey ale.

But then I actually like Boston Brewery as a commercial brewer. This was a oretty bold exercise and a neat attempt to replicate a few recipes from the era of out country's founding.

Take it for what it was, a nice learning experince for me.

Though I do agree the price was a bit steep.

Back