first brew with new equipment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I brewed a Wit beer last night and got the chance to use my air stone and fermentation chiller... After having the air stone going for a bout five minutes, my 6.5 gallon carboy was about to overflow with foam... and now its fermenting great in my fermentation chiller... I would recommend an air stone to anyone... I've had issue with fermentation stalling for a day or so, but the yeast kicked in after jsut a few hours this time.... I'm excited to try this beer in a few weeks...!!!!

Jester

You using pure O2 or a fish pump? If your using pure O2 you really only need to oxygenate for 1-2 minutes. I see people using a fish pump doing for more then 1/2 hr.

MrSaLTy said:
You using pure O2 or a fish pump? If your using pure O2 you really only need to oxygenate for 1-2 minutes. I see people using a fish pump doing for more then 1/2 hr.

I was jsut using a pretty high powered aquarium pump I had laying around... They only recommended about 5 minutes.. should I do more..??

MrSaLTy said:
Well here is the fish tank pump system from B3

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16607

They say 30-120 minutes and keep checking for overfoaming. Read the blurb in that link. No matter how long you do it its still better then anything you can do shaking it.

I guess theres no perfect amount of time... I got my kit for William's Brewing and the paper said 5 minutes... can you over aerate wort..??

Jester said:
I guess theres no perfect amount of time... I got my kit for William's Brewing and the paper said 5 minutes... can you over aerate wort..??

I don't think so. It's just a balance between how much you want to aerate and how soon you want to get that fermenter closed. (Both are good goals.)

Maybe you have a more powerful pump: I don't think mine would ever foam up that much in 5 minutes--I usually run it more like 20 minutes.

If you're going to put top-off water in, you can aerate first, which helps control the foaming. (Just be sure to note the exact amount of top-off water you need before you aerate, because it's hard to get an accurate volume reading after you've frothed it all up.)

cweston said:
I don't think so. It's just a balance between how much you want to aerate and how soon you want to get that fermenter closed. (Both are good goals.)

Maybe you have a more powerful pump: I don't think mine would ever foam up that much in 5 minutes--I usually run it more like 20 minutes.

If you're going to put top-off water in, you can aerate first, which helps control the foaming. (Just be sure to note the exact amount of top-off water you need before you aerate, because it's hard to get an accurate volume reading after you've frothed it all up.)

It is a powerful pump... its a tetra luft pump, which runs the protein skimmers on my Saltwater reef aquariums... but now I get to use it for two of my hobbies now... hehehee... maybe thats why it foamed so much...

Back