Mandarina Bavaria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justclancy

Reaction score
Hey,
Has anyone else got their hands on some Mandarina Bavaria? Mine just came in and I'll be making a saison with some of it in the coming months. Smells fruity, and well, mandarin-y. Not quite American hop levels in terms of intensity of aroma, but really nice stuff. Can't wait to use it.

Just wanted to update with my experiences with this hop, as it's so new and not very widely available.
It's great. Not quite like an American hop; it tastes and smells exactly the way you might expect it to: like a cross between a citrusy fruity American hop and a German noble(think hersbrucker.) In the nose there's a nice subtle fruitiness with a bit of the herbal grassy notes that you get from German varieties. On the palate it's a little juicier and fruitier(oranges, of course mandarin) with the grassy herbal flavors more in the background. Not too in your face, but helped make a great balanced pale ale.

My recipe:
OG: 1.056 FG: 1.014 IBU: 35 SRM: 8 Yeast: S-04
90% Maris Otter
5% Flaked Wheat
5% Brown Malt

10 g Magnum (60 min)
20 g Mandarina Bavaria (15 min)
15 g Mandarina Bavaria (5 min)
30 g Mandarina Bavaria (FO)

I made a dark farmhouse ale that was dry hopped with about 4oz of this hop. Very strong madarin/orange aroma and even some flavor. I can't wait to get my hands on more of this.

Making some 1.065 OG IPA with mandarina bavaria. Almost finished fermenting and tastes great. Plenty of fruit and very distinctive orange, mandarin, tamarind flavour. A bit less of the same in terms of aroma, but I haven't dry hopped it yet. Says what it says on the tin and if I like orange flavoured beer I'll buy more of it.

Readily available here in Germany. Maybe some of the websites might send to America?

Got 100g of Mandarina, wondering what to do with it. Also got 100g Hüll Melon which also sounds interesting.

Had a slightly weird idea of making a chocolate orange stout and using the Mandarina as flavour / aroma hops. I guess they wouldn't come through and would be a waste though...

I have been serching all of the sites on the net...just not available yet. Maybe come February when the 2013 crops start to creep in from overseas.

I was thinking about using some in a Belgian Wit as a flavor and aroma addition. Even an IPA sounds good using those.

I think it depends how heavy the letter/package/parcel is.
You are from Hamburg, Germany?
If yes try to look it up on the webpage of the german postal service or DHL.

From England but live in Hamburg.

Just wondering if I could help you out a bit by sending a pack or 2!

What are shipping costs from here to America?

A quick check on UPS shows a 1kg package to Southern California from Hamburg would be about $215US or €156. Plus the cost of the hops...

$6US per ounce just for the shipping alone is too much to drop into my beer.

That's insane delivery charges!

Have to say though the IPA I made with these hops was nice. Lots of comments from people about the Mandarine taste.

Hope you can get them over the pond soon!

I just looked shipping up on the DHL Homepage.
Shipping to the US for up to 2 kg costs about EUR 16,00 (round about USD 22,00).

But I agree UPS and FedEx charge horrendous rates for international shipping.

Did you ever contact Daniel Laizure of amihopfen.com?

I just looked shipping up on the DHL Homepage.
Shipping to the US for up to 2 kg costs about EUR 16,00 (round about USD 22,00).

That is much more reasonable than what UPS wants. If the hops are reasonably priced as well, it might be worth getting them that way.

I picked up a pound of these from Hop Heaven on eBay and think I'll incorporate them into an IPA along with some Amarillo.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
6.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5 2.8 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 45.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 13.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -
2.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

OG: 1.069
IBU: 69.5 IBU

Looking foward to it!

I picked up a pound of these from Hop Heaven on eBay and think I'll incorporate them into an IPA along with some Amarillo.

I know its been a while since you brew this beer, but I'm planning on doing a similar brew : Mandarina Bavaria / Amarillo IPA except I plan on using Magnum hops for bittering.

What was your feedback on this? and would you modify something to your recipe (which at first glance seems great, but I haven't use yet the MB hops).

Best,
Hez,

I know its been a while since you brew this beer, but I'm planning on doing a similar brew : Mandarina Bavaria / Amarillo IPA except I plan on using Magnum hops for bittering.

What was your feedback on this? and would you modify something to your recipe (which at first glance seems great, but I haven't use yet the MB hops).

Best,
Hez,

The beer turned out ok, but Mandarina Bavaria really isn't a super aggressive hop. In my personal experience, the "mandarin" flavor you get out of it is pretty subdued and will get easily buried by aggressive American hops.

I enjoyed it in a German-style IPA much more, blending it with Tettnang instead. That recipe was:

Code:
For 5 gallons:

6lb Briess 2-row
5lb Avangard Pils
8oz Amber Malt
3oz Acid Malt (pH adjustment)
1lb Flaked Wheat

FWH - 1oz Magnum 12.4%AA
15 min - 1oz Mandarina Bavaria 7.2%AA
0 min - 1.5oz Tettnang 5.0%AA
0 min - 2oz Mandarina Bavaria 7.2%AA

Ferment with WLP001

OG 1.064
FG 1.011
7.0% ABV

The hop use in that beer was pretty light for a typical IPA I brew, but it still had good hop flavor and aroma. The Mandarin flavor and aroma was there but it was veiled behind a spicy/herbal traditional German hop character.

Try to get your hands on Stone Brewing's Pale Ale 2.0...it uses Mandarina Bavaria exclusively for late additions if I recall correctly. It'll give you an idea of what to expect.

I think Mandarina Bavaria would be awesome in a lighter beer like a blonde or German Pilsner, but it doesn't have provide the *punch* that an American IPA typically has.

The beer turned out ok, but Mandarina Bavaria really isn't a super aggressive hop. In my personal experience, the "mandarin" flavor you get out of it is pretty subdued and will get easily buried by aggressive American hops.

(...)
I think Mandarina Bavaria would be awesome in a lighter beer like a blonde or German Pilsner, but it doesn't have provide the *punch* that an American IPA typically has.

Ok thanks, so I'll keep on relying American / New world hops for punchy IPAs (Hops like Equinox or Mosaic really gives this *punch* flavor).

I think I'll brew a lighter blond beer, with Mandarina Bavaria being the only aroma hop, not to lose its flavor. I was thinking on adjusting IBU with magnum as first hop to reach the ~30IBUs, and then as you did two addition of Mandarina, at 15min and flameout, and keep ABV below the 6%.
Concerning the malts I'll keep it simple with mainly pilsner malt, some Caramalt, and Wheat.

What do you think of that?
Thanks for the tips.
Hez,

Sounds good to me!

If I were to revisit them I'd probably do the same.

cheers

I just picked up some mandarina Bavaria to use with Nelson in a saison but I'm using it at 10 min to get some flavor utilization then the rest in a hopstand with the Nelson. Hope the combo works but I'm trying like you said to utilize the mb to where it won't get over powered by the Nelson.

I really liked them, one of my most popular beers had them and El Dorado. They would blend very well where Cascade would work and they have a roughly similar strength. If used with more pungent hops make sure you use a lot more MB than the other stuff. 2:1, of MB to Cascade would work very well in an APA or a British Golden Ale.

I made this recipe a few weeks back. Smells and tastes amazing out of the fermenter. Mostly intense orange. I'll be kegging it Thursday.

12 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Cane Sugar
0.5 oz Columbus (FWH)
1 oz Azacca / 1 oz Mandarina Bavaria / 1 oz Motueka (flame out)
2 oz Azacca / 2 oz Mandarina Bavaria / 1 oz Motueka (whirlpool for 30 minutes at 180°F)
1 oz Azacca / 1 oz Mandarina Bavaria / 1 oz Motueka (dry hop, 4 days)

I made this recipe a few weeks back. Smells and tastes amazing out of the fermenter. Mostly intense orange. I'll be kegging it Thursday.

12 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Cane Sugar
0.5 oz Columbus (FWH)
2 oz Azacca / 2 oz Mandarina Bavaria / 1 oz Motueka (whirlpool for 30 minutes at 180°F)

Looks good. Let us know how it ends up. :mug:

12 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Cane Sugar
0.5 oz Columbus (FWH)

Let us know how this turns out. No doubt it would be good. However, I would worry if you aimed at capturing the Mandarina Bavaria flavor distinctly. Is was previously stated that when combined with american / new world "aggresive" hops, the mandarina bavaria does not outline much. Correct me if I'm wrong (I've never used Motueka nor Azacca), but these are some powerful hop aren't they?

If your idea was just to make a great beer, this should be good.

If your idea was just to make a great beer, this should be good.

Mostly this. I was just chiming in since I didn't find too many good first hand experiences on mandarina Bavaria before I used it. I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

I attempt to use them for my wit beer once I have figured out the perfect recipe for it instead of Saarz/Mittelfrüh and cut down on the orange peel at the same time to see how that alters the flavor.
I'll post results in let say one year or so :)

Back