Extended boil modifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
I found a recipe I want to try. It calls for multiple hop additions starting at 60 min of a 60 min boil. How would you go about modifying the hop schedule for a 90min boil? Are there any other changes to the recipe I need to consider (other than water volume, that seemed obvious)?

As long as you begin the hops additions at the same time the recipe calls (60, not 90), you should be fine. Why are you considering increasing the boil time?

Yep, just more water for 90min. Add your 1st hops at 30min. Hop isomerization and utilization is based on length of time boiled.

I was under the impression 90 minutes was only going to improve the beer and since home-brewing is less about cost or time and more about amazing beer I might as well do everything I can.

I was under the impression 90 minutes was only going to improve the beer and since home-brewing is less about cost or time and more about amazing beer I might as well do everything I can.

Not really. There are some legitimate "uses" for a 90min boil but as a rule it isn't needed. Some that I can think of (and I'm sure there are more).

- Increase your OG, if the pre-boil SG was lower than expected. A longer boil would help concentrate the wort. (primary reason I extend a boil beyond 60min)

- Decrease flavor profile and increase efficiency of bittering hops in a very malt forward beer.

- Per the book it helps to remove DMS if using a high percentage of pilsner malt (I've not had an issue with only a 60min boil, but maybe better safe than sorry)

501irishred said:
Not really. There are some legitimate "uses" for a 90min boil but as a rule it isn't needed. Some that I can think of (and I'm sure there are more).

- Increase your OG, if the pre-boil SG was lower than expected. A longer boil would help concentrate the wort. (primary reason I extend a boil beyond 60min)

- Decrease flavor profile and increase efficiency of bittering hops in a very malt forward beer.

- Per the book it helps to remove DMS if using a high percentage of pilsner malt (I've not had an issue with only a 60min boil, but maybe better safe than sorry)

So for the purposes of a 75 ibu American Rye IPA maybe it is a good idea since it incorporates about 5 oz of hops.

Yep. It can help to increase your IBU's without using additional hops (ensure full utilization), but keep in mind that any hops intended for flavor or aroma should still be used towards the end of the boil (15, 10, 5, flame out...).

So for the purposes of a 75 ibu American Rye IPA maybe it is a good idea since it incorporates about 5 oz of hops.

If you're adding hops starting at 60 minutes, I don't see the advantages of a 90 minute boil.

A 90 minute boil is pretty common when dealing with a lot of pilsner malt (due to DMS concerns), and I know Jamil Zainasheff does a lot of 90 minute boils, but I"ve never been convinced of any advantage in most beers vs a 60 minute boil.

If you want to do a 90 minute boil, that's fine. Just boil until you want to set your timer for 60 minutes for your hop additions. And plan on 50% more boil off. That's it.

A 90 min boil will also add more carmelization of the sugars in the malt, deepening color and changing the flavor profile slightly.

Nope, as Yoop said you're not really gaining anything. If you play around with software and put your bittering addition at 90 vs. 60 minutes you'll see you gain about 2-3 IBU's. Not worth the propane.

Back