Damn it people are frustrating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So I was just walking down bourbon street in New Orleans and a guy came up and asked me for money. As I proceeded to give him a few bucks he punched me in the lip and took what was in my wallet.

I hate people

Whatever I'm done ranting. Cheers

People like that would tend to catch a bullet from me. :eek: Of course, I also don't give money to random people, no matter how they ask or how pathetic they might look. IF there's someone playing music on a sidewalk that I like, I might toss a few coins his/her way (times to date this has happened: zero). But some schuck walking up to me? F-no... Unless he pulls a weapon on me, he's not getting my hard-earned money. :D

You try to do something nice and **** like this happens....but who's to say if you hadn't started giving him money in the first place he wouldn't have gotten more physical.

You try to do something nice and **** like this happens....but who's to say if you hadn't started giving him money in the first place he wouldn't have gotten more physical.

Or just moved on to the next person he saw... You'll never know.

Just another reason why I tend to not like people... Luckily, the feeling is mutual. :rockin: :D

They ask first to get you to look down. Never EVER EVER give money to beggars. It does nothing good for anyone and perpetuates the cycle.

Edit: as I typed this one of my guys called me to ask me to come over to a robbery. Kinda funny, sorry.

Airborne, my street smarts are from 40 years ago, Have things changed much? I know the beggar thing hasn't changed, but in my day you always carried $20 in case you got mugged, I assume that's about $80 now or is that too generous? Maybe $60? Theory was that you didn't want the mugger to get pissed if he was all hyped up, and nervous, and then found out you had no money.

Airborne, my street smarts are from 40 years ago, Have things changed much? I know the beggar thing hasn't changed but in my day you always carried $20 in case you got mugged, I assume that's about $80 now or is that too generous? Maybe $60? Theory was that you didn't want the mugger to get pissed if he was all hyped up and nervous and then found out you had no money.

Man, am I EVER glad I don't have to walk where there are beggars and muggers milling about. IMO, carrying around only a certain amount of cash for when they steal it from you is just bad. IF I had to do that, I'd carry only loose change in my pockets.

That happened to a friend of mine who had been in special forces. He warned the guy to leave him alone, but the dumb a$$ demanded his wallet and pulled a knife anyway. By the time the cops arrived on the scene, my buddy had the knife, the dude was pinned to a wall on the very tips of his toes, with his own knife to his throat, and when my buddy whispered into his ear "I've killed far better men that you for less" the guy lost his bowel control. The cops were pretty cool about the whole thing, but not too pleased that this guy was going to be sitting in his own feces for the ride to jail.

We have beggers here. They claim street corners. Most of them are humble and friendly. I give a buck once in awhile. They all claim to be Vets which I don't realy believe.

Hard to imagine life on the streets and begging for a dollar. Stiil. I can't help but wonder; what if it were me? Life can throw a few curveballs along the way. Glad I'm not in the sistuation those guys are and don't know what exactly I would do if I was.

We have beggers here. They claim street corners.

I came out of a fast food place just after thanksgiving and two beggars were having a verbal confrontation over whose corner it was. I was waiting to see if they were going to throw down, as it was getting pretty heated and animated.

I advise people not to give anything, although I have heard the advice to keep a little cash in an easily accessible place to give up if someone attempts to rob you. Personally, I tell people to immediately run while screaming anything you want to say very loudly, unless of course there's a weapon displayed.

Robbery was a very common crime where I used to work, so I have a ton to experience with them. The vast majority of the time, when the victim fights back or flees, the perp gives up.

By the way, no robbery tonight. We're arguing over what we got right now but it's definitely not a robbery. ;)

I've heard of guys carrying "drop wallets" -- a second, cheap wallet with a couple bucks and some junk cards - the unactivated fake ones that get sent in the mail to attempt to get you to sign up for the real card (but nothing with your actual name on it). They carry their real wallet in the left pocket, or a front pocket, and the drop in the right rear. That way if they get mugged, they can toss the fake on at the bad guy.

Now, most of the places I've heard of this are on concealed carry forums, with the idea that you toss the fake to distract the BG long enough to draw your self defense weapon.

dkwolf said:
I've heard of guys carrying "drop wallets" -- a second, cheap wallet with a couple bucks and some junk cards - the unactivated fake ones that get sent in the mail to attempt to get you to sign up for the real card (but nothing with your actual name on it). They carry their real wallet in the left pocket, or a front pocket, and the drop in the right rear. That way if they get mugged, they can toss the fake on at the bad guy.

I have to confess, I find this completely bizarre. Are people getting mugged so frequently (or carrying so much cash) that it's worth the trouble to carrying around a decoy every day of their lives?

I knew a guy who wore a helmet any time he went outside because he was terrified of falling debris. If I were that nervous about the outside, I'd probably just never leave the house.

^^ Sounds like that guy had Agoraphobia. Afraid of open spaces.

I had an ex that developed that and would have random panic attacks when outside for no reason. Fing weird.

I live in a very calm, relatively crime free area so when I go into a city, I become almost hyper aware of my surroundings. If I see someone that gives me a bad feeling. I do what i can to avoid them. My fiance finds it funny the things I see around me when I'm like that.

I am not sure about all these strategies to prevent loosing too much money in a mugging. All that seems overkill.... How often do you get mugged? If you can just try to run, scream and shout. But really just give them what they want - its not worth risking more to save your wallet/cell phone. Unless you are trained special forces you run the risk of something far worse if you try to fight them.

As for giving money, I don't give beggars money on the street. That is really never a good idea, but I do want to help the less fortunate. So I donate money to charities. That way I know my charitable giving is actually helping someone and I am safe too...

I'm sure the stagger I had from too much to drink made me a target. Honestly in that situation I'm not sure a gun would have been a good idea. I have enough accuracy issues with my 1911 without booze and thousands of people. Oh and luckily I had most of my money in my back pocket so he only got away with 26 bucks.

Honestly in that situation I'm not sure a gun would have been a good idea.

Probably not. Even though I'm all for carry permits if so inclined, I don't think getting punched in the lip is legal grounds for shooting someone when they're running away with your wallet.

Craziest drunk "giving" story I heard wound up in the New York Post.

Woman having a cigarette outside bar is rather inebriated. Man approaches her and asks if she has a dollar because he wants to buy pizza and a beer. She, stupidly, says "no all my money is on my card."

He offers to take her card and bring it back. Unbelievably... she does, and asks for him to bring her back a pack of cigarettes as well.

Even more unbelievably, he takes it, buys pizza, beer, and cigarettes, and returns with the card and nic-sticks like 20 minutes later.

My city is weird and rough, but there's a reason we live here...

Craziest drunk "giving" story I heard wound up in the New York Post.

Woman having a cigarette outside bar is rather inebriated. Man approaches her and asks if she has a dollar because he wants to buy pizza and a beer. She, stupidly, says "no all my money is on my card."

He offers to take her card and bring it back. Unbelievably... she does, and asks for him to bring her back a pack of cigarettes as well.

Even more unbelievably, he takes it, buys pizza, beer, and cigarettes, and returns with the card and nic-sticks like 20 minutes later.

My city is weird and rough, but there's a reason we live here...

Unfortunately, the store that allowed the man to use her card could be sued, or at the very least in hot water. Failing to ask for ID, when the card has a woman's name on it, and it's a man standing there using it, should (at least) get the person who processed the transaction reprimanded.

I admit, I've never been mugged and never heard of anyone in my area ever being mugged in my life.

But if I ever do, I plan on picturing the mugger naked. They say that's a good way to keep calm in a stressful situation.

I do like the fake wallet trick though. It would probably get far more use on my nightstand though. You know, the regular wallet, and then the "wife wallet".

I have never been mugged but when someone on the street asks me for money I just say sorry I don't carry cash and that usually does the trick. I think I will use the decoy wallet when I know I am going downtown or other places where something like that can happen.

It's really an awful feeling to be mugged, even if they don't get away with much. Happened to be one time in a parking lot in Lake City, Florida, which is not even close to being a real city. Guy asked me for the time, I looked down at my watch and he grabbed my bag and took off running. For some reason I tried to chase him down, screaming and cursing, but he got away. It really pissed me off and took me a couple weeks to get over it. Infuriating.

When I was around 22. I was taking a jeepney ride in Olongapo City, Phillipines
jeepney-philippines-57864.jpg

It was in the afternoon and I was the only passenger until a local jumped in. It wasn't my first trip to the PI. He asked if he could see my wallet, or something like that. Being young, smug and and full of.. confidence. I pulled it out handed it to him. I saw the smile on his face as he figured he'd just scored. He told me how nice a wallet it was and I saw his eyes darting, looking for a place to jump out of the jeepney and steal my wallet. Then he opened it. Not a peso in it, no ID, nothing but an empty wallet. He handed it back to me and got off the jeepney at the next corner.

I may be dumb but I aint stupid.. (I need to post that one on the annoying things people say thread)

When I was around 22. I was taking a jeepney ride in Olongapo City, Phillipines
jeepney-philippines-57864.jpg

It was in the afternoon and I was the only passenger until a local jumped in. It wasn't my first trip to the PI. He asked if he could see my wallet, or something like that. Being young, smug and and full of.. confidence. I pulled it out handed it to him. I saw the smile on his face as he figured he'd just scored. He told me how nice a wallet it was and I saw his eyes darting, looking for a place to jump out of the jeepney and steal my wallet. Then he opened it. Not a peso in it, no ID, nothing but an empty wallet. He handed it back to me and got off the jeepney at the next corner.

I may be dumb but I aint stupid.. (I need to post that one on the annoying things people say thread)

It's supposed to be "I'm crazy, not stupid"... :D

Years ago my 80 something year old grandma was mugged in broad daylight. She held on to her purse, was swung around and slammed to the ground and her purse stolen. She was bruised up pretty bad, but generally ok and not mentally messed up by it.
I sure that son of a &#)$*@#!!&#@ is in prison by now and I hope he gets cornholed every day.

Years ago my 80 something year old grandma was mugged in broad daylight. She held on to her purse, was swung around and slammed to the ground and her purse stolen. She was bruised up pretty bad, but generally ok and not mentally messed up by it.
I sure that son of a &#)$*@#!!&#@ is in prison by now and I hope he gets cornholed every day.

I hope so too. We will all get old someday. I do got to say, 80, is old. And I wonder if old people ever want to just.. I don't know.

The world is not getting any better it seems. To much hate and violence. Maybe it has always been that way. Me personally, I don't look forward to getting old and living in a land that is violent and plays violence towards the elderly. Was it always this way? I'm thinking not but since I'm posting on the WW web. Certain somebody will tell me I'm wrong.

Dan, while I think you are right that the world isnt getting any better (I rant and rave like a lunatic many days when I get home from work), I don't think it has gotten any WORSE either... over all. At least there is that.

Dan, while I think you are right that the world isnt getting any better (I rant and rave like a lunatic many days when I get home from work), I don't think it has gotten any WORSE either... over all. At least there is that.

You wait until you get home from work to rant and rave?? Why not do it AT work? :D

fenderbass said:
IF there's justice, he's getting his due every day/night. Unfortunately, unless you know he was caught, chances are it's not happening. :mad:

There's what?

We choose the life we live, maybe not always. Sometimes it is taken from us. Sometimes we dominate our little world. We live life but the end is not our choice.

We go to Asheville frequently and I keep some dollar bills in my front pocket for folks playing music on the street. Plain ol' beggars who just ask for dough get a friendly "peace be with you" but no money. Giving to charities for homelessness is so much more effective for the community. But I don't demean them or ignore them.

I was mugged in Memphis once, when I was 20. Single girl against two street punks? I was lucky they didn't take more than about $6 and a cheap necklace. Scared the hell outta me.

There's what?
Didn't say that it was delivered via the criminal justice system. :eek:
We choose the life we live, maybe not always. Sometimes it is taken from us. Sometimes we dominate our little world. We live life but the end is not our choice.

Not always true... :eek: :D

Which makes you wonder... Is the "criminal justice system" really an oxymoron these days? I mean, don't enough guilty people get 'off' and too many innocent people get put away to make you really wonder?

Unfortunately, the store that allowed the man to use her card could be sued, or at the very least in hot water. Failing to ask for ID, when the card has a woman's name on it, and it's a man standing there using it, should (at least) get the person who processed the transaction reprimanded.

Unfortunately, and weirdly, untrue.
There is no law requiring anyone to check id or even look at the name, nor a law protecting the establishment if they decide to go that extra step to protect the cardholder.

VISA and MasterCard do however have their own policy regarding ID-checks: You cannot require a cardholder to provide identification of any kind. If the cardholder refuses to show id, no matter what the store policy, or what the card itself* says, the merchant agreement with Visa and MC requires them to process the card in good faith, or risk losing their account entirely.

Several large companies of course routinely ignore this (and aren't corrected because it's big money they're processing) but a small convenience store can lose their account for a variety of reasons, which means a lot of hassle.

The only thing that would protect the store in that case is if the clerk KNEW for a fact that the person presenting a card wasn't the cardholder listed, without asking for that ID. As in, willing to swear in court that it's not, not "No way his name is Shirley" sure.

Of course, he bought cigarettes too, so they could have checked the ID for that, and then they would have been sure, and THAT is protected by law on any transactions including tobacco in most states (and almost as many states on alcohol sales)

* Know all those people that sign their card as "Check ID"? The card isn't valid unless it's ACTUALLY signed. You can put extra instructions on there, but it doesn't matter either way, and the merchant IS allowed (in fact, required in their contract with Visa/MC) to deny the card without the signature appearing, as the card isn't considered valid unless you agree to all terms of using it, which is done by signing ;)

Raenon, You seem to be pretty aware of the facts. Why? Work for a CC place, lawyer or something. Not bashing or criticizing just curious.

I advise people not to give anything, although I have heard the advice to keep a little cash in an easily accessible place to give up if someone attempts to rob you. Personally, I tell people to immediately run while screaming anything you want to say very loudly, unless of course there's a weapon displayed.

Robbery was a very common crime where I used to work, so I have a ton to experience with them. The vast majority of the time, when the victim fights back or flees, the perp gives up.

By the way, no robbery tonight. We're arguing over what we got right now but it's definitely not a robbery. ;)

Does the anatomy match the attire?

You wait until you get home from work to rant and rave?? Why not do it AT work? :D

That's a damn job requirement for us.

Unfortunately, and weirdly, untrue.
There is no law requiring anyone to check id or even look at the name, nor a law protecting the establishment if they decide to go that extra step to protect the cardholder.

VISA and MasterCard do however have their own policy regarding ID-checks: You cannot require a cardholder to provide identification of any kind. If the cardholder refuses to show id, no matter what the store policy, or what the card itself* says, the merchant agreement with Visa and MC requires them to process the card in good faith, or risk losing their account entirely.

Several large companies of course routinely ignore this (and aren't corrected because it's big money they're processing) but a small convenience store can lose their account for a variety of reasons, which means a lot of hassle.

The only thing that would protect the store in that case is if the clerk KNEW for a fact that the person presenting a card wasn't the cardholder listed, without asking for that ID. As in, willing to swear in court that it's not, not "No way his name is Shirley" sure.

Of course, he bought cigarettes too, so they could have checked the ID for that, and then they would have been sure, and THAT is protected by law on any transactions including tobacco in most states (and almost as many states on alcohol sales)

* Know all those people that sign their card as "Check ID"? The card isn't valid unless it's ACTUALLY signed. You can put extra instructions on there, but it doesn't matter either way, and the merchant IS allowed (in fact, required in their contract with Visa/MC) to deny the card without the signature appearing, as the card isn't considered valid unless you agree to all terms of using it, which is done by signing ;)

None of my cards are signed. No one checks and with all the swipe it yourself machines, I hardly ever hand the card over anyway.

Awareness and avoidance is a good defense. It's not a guarantee. People aint no good. But being aware of who's around and what they are doing can go a long way. Know where you are too. It can happen anywhere. Some places are more likely though.

Walking around half crazy helps too. And it's fun. :tank:

Does the anatomy match the attire?

That's a damn job requirement for us.

None of my cards are signed. No one checks and with all the swipe it yourself machines, I hardly ever hand the card over anyway.

Awareness and avoidance is a good defense. It's not a guarantee. People aint no good. But being aware of who's around and what they are doing can go a long way. Know where you are too. It can happen anywhere. Some places are more likely though.

Walking around half crazy helps too. And it's fun. :tank:
Around here, for anything under $25, even if they swipe the card, they don't ask for a signature. Haven't for a couple years now. Even the electronic, swipe-it-yourself ones won't prompt for a signature under $25

Back