If my OG was higher than expected, will my FG be higher than expected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsender

Reaction score
I brewed an Oatmeal Stout about two weeks ago an the target OG was 1.046, but I ended up at 1.052. I just took a sample because I wanted to bottle this weekend and the gravity is now at 1.018 but I was expecting to be a little closer to 1.012.

Am I okay to bottle, or should wait another week hoping the gravity to drop, or is there something I can do to 'restart' fermentation now and hope my gravity drops?

Check the FG again in a few days if its the Same then your ok to bottle if it drops some check again in a few days to see if it changes again. You want at least two consistent readings a few days apart.

Your FG could be higher it all depends on if your extra OG points were fermentable or unfermentable.

What yeast did you use and what is the attenuation? If you're using a yeast around 70 to 75% attenuation you could get closer numbers to the 1.012 FG you're seeking.
I agree with GillSwill - let it sit a little longer to see if it drops a few points. Any chance you could have used some unfermentable sugars as well?

Was this an extract recipe with top off water? If ao your OG was probably correct but you did not get a thorough mix of the wort and water and measured more dense wort, this a higher than expected reading.

If this was AG or partial mash then we need mash temps and grain bill and process

The bill was...
6# dark LME
0.5# rolled oats
0.25# chocolate malt
0.25# roasted barley

and I used Wyeast 1084 which is 71-75% attenuation.

Was this an extract recipe with top off water? If ao your OG was probably correct but you did not get a thorough mix of the wort and water and measured more dense wort, this a higher than expected reading.

If this was AG or partial mash then we need mash temps and grain bill and process

This is correct, the recipe was an extract that was topped off. So are you saying that it's possible that I took a denser sample because the sugars are not evenly distributed in my fermenter? This would make sense because I my thief was towards the bottom of the bucket.

wsender said:
This is correct, the recipe was an extract that was topped off. So are you saying that it's possible that I took a denser sample because the sugars are not evenly distributed in my fermenter? This would make sense because I my thief was towards the bottom of the bucket.

Correct:)

Have you checked the hydrometer? It could read 0.006 higher then actual. I know I have a couple that have had the little paper inside slip a bit.

Have you checked the hydrometer? It could read 0.006 higher then actual. I know I have a couple that have had the little paper inside slip a bit.

If you're talking about the temperature correction slip, I'm in the area that is considered 'no correction'. I haven't seen any other slips about a possible 6 point correction. I just have a standard triple scale hydrometer, is there anyway to determine if there is an additional correction needed?

I believe you need to test with distilled water @ the temp your hydrometer is calibrated for. If it doesn't read 1.000 that is how much you'll need to add or subtract for a true reading.

Latest posts

Back