rubber stopper causing off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple of austin home brews 1gal kits to add variety to my 5 gal pipeline. at bottling they all have smelled just like that rubber stopper that comes with the kit. I wrote it off assuming that it would fade quickly once they were in the bottles and carbing up. Today I opened my first one from 3 weeks back & it still has that rubber stopper smell & a small off flavor that I can only describe as "rubber stopper". The beer (a porter that I added a tiny bit of peated malt to) is great otherwise. It may all just be in my head but I was wondering if anyone else who is using these stoppers have noticed anything similar.

ferm temps between 62-68 inside the fermenter. using muntons gold, notingham & windsor. I strongly suspect its from the stopper because it smells exactly like the stopper does and it's been like that in 3 batches and the odor has beenl noticeable at bottling.

The stoppers are "fermenthause" brand.

Is the stopper black rubber or white latex looking type ?
I think the black rubber ones would leave a taste , test
it by boiling it in distilled water and let it cool then taste
the water, you'll know for sure then.

Is the stopper black rubber or white latex looking type ?
I think the black rubber ones would leave a taste , test
it by boiling it in distilled water and let it cool then taste
the water, you'll know for sure then.

Yellowish white. I like the idea of boiling one & will try that this weekend. I don't think the flavor is come from wort contact with the stopper but just the strong aroma being inclosed in the fermenter. Like I said, could all be in my head, but those stopper have a strong odor.

Back