I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you don't cross streams, you're fine.

By the way, you should try pitching ectoplasm after primary. It really dries things up nicely and contributes a very subtle sour note.

Back in the day, before brewers had discovered what yeast was, they had to rely on the ghost's of their ancestors to do all the fermenting. Using a bit of ecto pays homage to our roots as brewers. I think you'll dig it.

Man I would not have thought of the ecto...all gooey and stuff. Seems like the stuff CG is made of.

All I found in search were references to BY, Fight Club, EAC and DIA...something or other.

Update on the 600 Post BIPA.

This is clearly a cursed beer brewed by an idiot

My first clue should have been the infected starter. Not sure how/why that happened...I paid all due dilligence to cleaning and sanitization. Maybe it's just that I was doing a starter with dry yeast, which I was later told is not recommended. (Danstar Nottingham) Or maybe the yeast itself was bad. It did occurr to me afterwards that the first two yeast packets were not hard and compact as were the ones I replaced them with.
It did seem a bit odd that it started immediately bubbling the airlock after pitching, and that it was done fermenting after 12 hours.

Next, I screwed up my LHBS grain bill order and mistakenly instructed them to combine my cold steeping dark grains with the crystal and munich. At that point, my original recipe was out the door. I had two choices, Mini mash the whole thing, or cold steep the whole thing. I chose the latter given the fact that I ordered 3X the normal recipe amount for the dark grains to account for cold steep efficiency loss.
Well, as it turns out, there wasn't much loss at all. My 5 gallons of cold steeped water ended up at 1.038 before ever adding any DME, candy sugar and oats.
My pre pitching OG was 1.080...just a bit outside of the 1.067 I was shooting for. I should have reduced the DME weight to compensate, but then I thought...hell, this ain't the beer from the recipe anyway. Might as well imperialize it.

Then to top it all off, I had a 10 oz blow out to clean up last night. But how does the wort taste? Imagine this if you will...take an old rasputin russian imperial stout, and shake the piss out of it to decarb it. Then, boil it down to, oh, 25% of it's original volume, add an ounce of vodka, and a 1/2 oz of witch hazel...then mix in a teaspoon of french roast grounds. Mmmmm.

I refuse to dump this beer so long as it doesn't get infected. If nothing else, it has potential as a blender, and it can only improve with age.

Look what you made me do!!

Appropriate to this trainwreck, I've been watching Atlas Shrugged Pt. 1 in fits and starts over the last couple nights. That got me interested in finding out when Pt 2 comes out. October 12th, woohoo! Checked out the trailer, and seems to be a bigger budget production than the first. Unfortunately, it also looks like the main characters are not the same actors. I hate when they do that!!

I enjoyed the first one after it got going. I hate it when they change up the players mid stream.

On a different note. I just remembered that i have an American Ale that has been dry hopping with my mystery hops for a month now. I expect it to be grassy as hell but ill be damned if I'm dumping it. Ill toss in a seal and let it age. That should do the trick.

I enjoyed the first one after it got going. I hate it when they change up the players mid stream.

On a different note. I just remembered that i have an American Ale that has been dry hopping with my mystery hops for a month now. I expect it to be grassy as hell but ill be damned if I'm dumping it. Ill toss in a seal and let it age. That should do the trick.

To get rid of grassy notes, you really need an herbivore....

menerdari said:
2 goats should be enough I would think

Or one goat for twice as long. Just make sure it is a male. Females should only be used on milk stouts. I assume no explanation is necessary...

As long as you don't cross streams, you're fine.

By the way, you should try pitching ectoplasm after primary. It really dries things up nicely and contributes a very subtle sour note.

Back in the day, before brewers had discovered what yeast was, they had to rely on the ghost's of their ancestors to do all the fermenting. Using a bit of ecto pays homage to our roots as brewers. I think you'll dig it.

I go ABSOLUTELY HOOKED on ectoplasm IPA's last year.

I started seeing freaky shlt and becoming transparent after 10 months of binge drinking.

NEVER again.

Update on the 600 Post BIPA.

This is clearly a cursed beer brewed by an idiot

My first clue should have been the infected starter. Not sure how/why that happened...I paid all due dilligence to cleaning and sanitization. Maybe it's just that I was doing a starter with dry yeast, which I was later told is not recommended. (Danstar Nottingham) Or maybe the yeast itself was bad. It did occurr to me afterwards that the first two yeast packets were not hard and compact as were the ones I replaced them with.
It did seem a bit odd that it started immediately bubbling the airlock after pitching, and that it was done fermenting after 12 hours.

Next, I screwed up my LHBS grain bill order and mistakenly instructed them to combine my cold steeping dark grains with the crystal and munich. At that point, my original recipe was out the door. I had two choices, Mini mash the whole thing, or cold steep the whole thing. I chose the latter given the fact that I ordered 3X the normal recipe amount for the dark grains to account for cold steep efficiency loss.
Well, as it turns out, there wasn't much loss at all. My 5 gallons of cold steeped water ended up at 1.038 before ever adding any DME, candy sugar and oats.
My pre pitching OG was 1.080...just a bit outside of the 1.067 I was shooting for. I should have reduced the DME weight to compensate, but then I thought...hell, this ain't the beer from the recipe anyway. Might as well imperialize it.

Then to top it all off, I had a 10 oz blow out to clean up last night. But how does the wort taste? Imagine this if you will...take an old rasputin russian imperial stout, and shake the piss out of it to decarb it. Then, boil it down to, oh, 25% of it's original volume, add an ounce of vodka, and a 1/2 oz of witch hazel...then mix in a teaspoon of french roast grounds. Mmmmm.

I refuse to dump this beer so long as it doesn't get infected. If nothing else, it has potential as a blender, and it can only improve with age.

Look what you made me do!!

Actually, that sound pretty good to me.... After you reach FG, give it an extra couple days in primary. The yeasties should do some post fermentation cleanup that will probably help with the "witch hazel" flavor.

If it doesn't clear up quickly after that, add a rose that's been watered every day with a honest mans urine. Make sure it's cut under the light of the full moon without the use of metal.

Leadgolem said:
If it doesn't clear up quickly after that, add a rose that's been watered every day with a honest mans urine. Make sure it's cut under the light of the full moon without the use of metal.

Would it be acceptable to use a tulip that fits all that criteria? Also I'm assuming you could have a hamster chew through the stem under the light of the full moon. As far as the definition of the use of metal. Are you just talking about the cutting instrument or can the hamster not listen to metal music while he chews?

Would it be acceptable to use a tulip that fits all that criteria? Also I'm assuming you could have a hamster chew through the stem under the light of the full moon. As far as the definition of the use of metal. Are you just talking about the cutting instrument or can the hamster not listen to metal music while he chews?

A tulip would be acceptable, it might get you in the kisser though. If the hamster listens to metal music, you may end up with a sulphury aroma...

What if the hamster listens to Def Leppard? Does that cancel out the auditory conflict? Is Def Leppard even considered Metal anymore? I know they once were, but genre standards have changed since they started out.

What if the hamster listens to Def Leppard? Does that cancel out the auditory conflict? Is Def Leppard even considered Metal anymore? I know they once were, but genre standards have changed since they started out.

I think they are a "hair band" now so you stand the chance of hair balls being coughed up.

That's true. Come to think of it, that could get sketchy under a full moon. Werehamsters are nothing to be trifled with. Trust me...I know.

I don't know, I think they make great trifle.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it. It's hard to get hair out of your brew once it's sprouted. You could do a hair sprout brew, but that's another recipe.

I think his brain just finished melting. Ah, I remember the first time that happened...haven't seen my cat since.........

1. Did they make the rookie cop administer the "breath test"?
2. I thought the funnel went in the other end.
3. Is this what is meant every time someone posts "anything you do, don't dump your batch"?

1. Did they make the rookie cop administer the "breath test"?
2. I thought the funnel went in the other end.
3. Is this what is meant every time someone posts "anything you do, don't dump your batch"?

LOL it´s shame that nobody died of this that will be natural selection working. That´s the problem of being an idiot that f@#ing Darwin was rigth.

A grown-@ss man died from this actually. I forget where it was, but it was on Odd News Yahoo that a "recovering" alcoholic had been forbidden from embibing by his doctor. Daily or weekly he was receiving colonics, and bribed the technician to put sherry in the colonic water. Killed him dead..

I'm a little late to the party, but can someone tell me if colonic water is good for brewing? And by colonic water I mean tepid macrobeer that allegedly came out of the south end of a north-bound PKE.

Now is the time for all idiots to come to the aid of this thread. We cant let it die! I want to see all the pics of the open fermentation brew that was promised at 1000 posts.

Obliviousbrew said:
First I want to see Wesleys black IPA

I know, I know. Progress has been slow since I've been out of town. Now I'm back home and ready to get this thing going. I have formulated my recipe and should be brewing next weekend. I'm actually looking forward to making this beer. I sampled a lot of hoppy beers while I was in Chicago and now have a new found appreciation for hops. The idiotic black IPA is soon to be born.

I'm a little late to the party, but can someone tell me if colonic water is good for brewing? And by colonic water I mean tepid macrobeer that allegedly came out of the south end of a north-bound PKE.
The only thing that's good for is fertilizer, just don't use it on your hops. Just in case.

Oh, and one other thing....boobies.

Wait, was that two things?

Leadgolem said:
The only thing that's good for is fertilizer, just don't use it on your hops. Just in case.

Oh, and one other thing....boobies.

Wait, was that two things?

No no. Boobies are implicit.

Back