How nervous are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my plastic stuff- mostly just because it's all old. I don't separate kegs, i just clean and sanitize and replace rubber parts every now and again (usually when they start looking worn).

I personally don't combine my fermenters, kegs, or lines. I have red top kegs for sours (could just mark a black top keg with tape if you don't have any colors). The lines are marked with tape, and I use 6 gallon carboys for sours, 6.5 gallon carboys for standard beers.

The gas-in line probably doesn't matter too much, but if you somehow have backdraft into the line, it might get contaminated.

Cheers!

I don't seperate anything...I typically use buckets to ferment regular ales and my better bottles for sours..that being said I have a saison currently fermenting in a better bottle that was housing my Rainier Cherry Kriek..I gave it two 24 hour oxy clean soaks, and sanitized..if some bugs happened to live through that so be it..a soured saison is fine as well.

killian said:
I have a keg that looks scratched on the inside that I have thought about segregating

No need to segregate other than the o rings. Find yourself some P3 acid sanitizer for a soak before the action starts and you'll be fine!

I really don't want to have to go out and get another set of equipment. My dishwasher has an "anti-bacteria" cycle. What if I were just to throw everything in there and do a heated dry afterwards, and then after that use star-san on everything?

Edit: I wouldn't use detergent

i use all the same equipment and don't do anything special (pbw then star-san), havent had any contamination issues (yet)

Back