Good Beer In Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of places.

Owen and Engine - really nice English Pub type place. Usually have at least two cask beers available, as well as a very nice selection of other beers on tap.

Map Room. Have not been there but I've heard it's really cool.

Three Floyd's brewing is nearby in Muenster, IN. I love all of their beers.

Check out Flossmoor station its a little south i think of chicago maybe a part of chicago well you know, suburbs.

Map Room is great.

Quenchers if you like dives in a little less glitzy part of the city.

Want to pick up a growler? Go to Half-Acre and pick up some Daisy Cutter on the north side. A great APA.

City is big enough that "depends on where you're at" is a valid concern...

+1 to Three Floyd's in Munster, you can likely find some of their beers on tap at various places in the city.

Metropolitian Brewing (which is a brewery not a tavern, and I don't believe they have a tasting room): you may be able to find their beers on tap around Chicago land, you might be able to take a tour of the brewery http://www.metrobrewing.com/

If you want to venture out to the suburbs, Two Brothers in Warenville, IL would be worth the trip, about 45 mins southwest of the city proper, give or take with traffic. http://www.twobrosbrew.com

I'm sure there are many others; I'm from the suburbs so I am not really familiar with what else might be in the city itself.

Enjoy, Chicago is a great place to visit.

Revolution on the west side is OK. They're trying.

I live in the city, don't like going to the suburbs...

If you're on the North Side, there are three really great restaurants with excellent beer selections.

Hopleaf - This is the bar that really introduced me to good beers, and made me a lifelong fan of Belgian Ales. I had never had one before going there.

Fireside - This place has a great beer selection in bottles, no so much on tap. Cool place, good bar food too.

The Fountainhead - Awesome new place that's becoming more popular lately. Great food, better beer selection.

You really can't go wrong with any of those.

I was just there for a wedding a few weeks back. Take the trip to 3 Floyds if you can, its like 40 minutes away but be aware that with traffic it may be longer getting back. Check out half acre, Daisy Cutter is pretty darn good. And check out Goose Island, I know I know AB has their hands in it now, but still they have some good beers, try the ladies, Sofie Matilda etc. Also find yourself some 2 brothers beers if you can.

Map Room and Hopleaf are both great choices. I was there earlier this year and was impressed by both bars. Clark Street Ale House is decent too, although not as much fun as the aforementioned establishments.

Quenchers if you like dives in a little less glitzy part of the city.

I'm a big fan of Quenchers myself and it's only a few steps away from a record store with an old school arcade in the back. Had a Mikkeller single-hop Cascade IPA there in July. They've got a great tap list and bottle selection.

Just went emmets in palatine. Fantastic beers, they snuck grapefruit in thier red, fresh and delicious

The hopleaf is sweet! Three floydes munsterfest is malty amd fresh

It is one of my favorite bars in the city, and thankfully not too far from me. Great selection of local craft brews and probably the best selection of Belgian ales I've seen outside of Brussels.

Goose Island was just ok. There are a few good beers, but I wasn't as impressed overall.
Thanks for all your suggestions, that was a really fun beer weekend!

binny's in the south loop if you wanna buy some bottles at a beverage shop with amazing selection. I second Haymarket, hy brew a lot of unusuals for a microbrew, belgians, saisons, pilseners, etc... Hopleaf is overrated. Fountainhead has a better selection in my opinion and the crowd isn't nearly as obnoxious. (Hopleaf has the longterm reputation). Haven't been to Map Room yet, going there on Tuesday.

Quenchers is awesome...

oops. Didn't mean to sound dismissive of Goose Island! I'm a big fan! I just stay away from the main line stuff in preference for the many delicious and top-notch beers in the belgian line and the many terrific brews they come out with that are considered seasonal. But yes, I am definitely dismissive of the hopleaf. Service was always a tinge condescending and uncomfortable and the crowd always made it just not worth it. Not a place to have a conversation at all.

Latest posts

Back