Thicker head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiesrwe03

Reaction score
OK so I am on my 3rd batch (my two first batches were amazing) but I want a thicker head the two batches made previously really didnt have a head at all it carbonation was good and all but it was more like a soda that anything else, how do I get a good thick head on my cider? I would like a head about like a store bought bottle of beer. thick guiness head would be even better, am I doing something wrong or using the wrong yeast maybe can someone let me know thanks!!! p.s. im using a champange yeast and natural carbonation

If you are making real cider, meaning only apple juice and maybe a little sugar to bump up the OG, you will not get a long lasting head. Its just the nature of the beast. Beer, brewed from malted grains has a lot more protein and longer chained dextrins that contribute to head formation and retention. That stuff just doesn't exist in apple juice. You could experiment with making "graff", which is a cider/beer hybrid and uses some malt extract. Since its still mostly apple juice, I expect it won't have great head retention either.

I guess you could also mash a pound or two of wheat malt, and add that wort (boiled) to the apple juice. I still expect any fermented beverage with apples as the base (meaning more apple juice than malt) will not have very good head.

thanks for the answer, not totally what I was hoping to hear but oh well it still taste amazing especially since its getting cooler outside it just seems like its the right time of the year to make ALOT of cider!!! So does this apply to root beer as well? I had the same problem with my root beer which is why I was thinking it was the yeast I was using!!

+ 1 for Ed's sage and wise advice :) Any 'head' you get on sparkling cider dissipates very quickly after pouring. Think of it as being like champagne - you get a brief head when you pour, but the carbonation really is in the bubbles that climb up the glass.

So beer is like being single. You get head from every beer. It might not be the best head ever, but at least you get something. Cider is like being married. You might get a tease, but in the end, you don't get head.:D

Lol edc! Yes I ment head on root beer the soda. When I make cider I make the niece and nephew root beer too. Thanks guy for all the help at least I know I'm not doing anything wrong starting a new batch tonight!!

Back