the wedding brew's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
If you had to brew 3 different styles of brew for a large wedding reception what would they be?

How much time do you have? If a year or more, I'd make a mead - very traditional for a wedding.

Otherwise, I'd say you ought to have something kind of BMC-ey for those kinds of drinkers, then I'd do stuff that I liked. Maybe something really malty, like a nice porter, and an IPA.

I brewed two beers for my Sister-In-Law's wedding last July. A Belgian Wit, which I named "Wit Love" and and IPA entitled "Hoppily Ever After" I kegged both to be served at the reception off my jockey box with special tap handle labels. I also bottled a 750ml of each to present to them as a gift. I corked each bottle, capped over the cork and dipped in bottle wax.

I'd do a mild amber ale, like Fat Tire, for the BMC crowd. Definitely an IPA, because that's my favorite, and then maybe a porter or stout for the malt lovers.

I like the idea of the Wit, too. I don't go for them, but lots of people do and that would be really popular. Maybe that instead of the amber ale.

Cream or golden ale, american pale ale and a porter. It is what all the pubs do. Screw the wit, it is a wheat beer and no brewer needs to lower themselves to that level.

Depends, too, who's going to be there. Had I brewed for my wedding, my wife's uber-Irish clan would never have let the wedding proceed had I not made an Irish stout.

Brewpastor said:
Cream or golden ale, american pale ale and a porter. It is what all the pubs do.

I second this one. That would cover pretty much all types of beer drinkers. Bird's mead idea is good too, and it'll get people ripped much faster.

I'd say pale ale, brown ale, and then a hard cider/meade/or Ed's Apfelwein!

thanks for all the replies, and all those are great ideas. I do have until early summer of 08, so I definitely have some time. I do know the story behind the mead, but I hadn't given much thought to actually having it at the wedding. I do like the idea of a bottle of mead at each table. Even if people don't care for the taste, there could be a cool story on the label for them to enjoy. I have never made mead before though, so I would hope that it would be good. Maybe I could do a couple batches to test them to see if they are serve-able.

I was thinking along the lines of a wheat too (although i don't really care for them), but it seems that it is popular among the bar crowd.

Any other ideas keep 'em comin', thanks for the help.

Joe

Joe028 said:
thanks for all the replies, and all those are great ideas. I do have until early summer of 08, so I definitely have some time. I do know the story behind the mead, but I hadn't given much thought to actually having it at the wedding. I do like the idea of a bottle of mead at each table. Even if people don't care for the taste, there could be a cool story on the label for them to enjoy. I have never made mead before though, so I would hope that it would be good. Maybe I could do a couple batches to test them to see if they are serve-able.

I was thinking along the lines of a wheat too (although i don't really care for them), but it seems that it is popular among the bar crowd.

Any other ideas keep 'em comin', thanks for the help.

Joe

Mead is pretty fool-proof, IMO. 15 minute boil, no worrying about hops and the like, and a nice, steady fermentation that lasts quite a while.

Back